Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration REGISTERED NURSE - Assistant Nurse Manager/SPS in Memphis, Tennessee
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Memphis, TN
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Wednesday 4/20/2016 (183 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (71 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1649711
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
The VAMC in Memphis, TN consists of one main campus located at 1030 Jefferson Avenue, which includes a 60-bed Spinal Cord Injury Unit, and nine community based outpatient clinics (CBOC). It is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level I Facility and one of the most complex medical centers in the VA system. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology, as well as extensive education and research programs. Comprehensive primary, secondary, and tertiary health care is provided in areas of medicine, general cardiovascular and neurological surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury, neurology, oncology, dentistry, and geriatrics. Specialized outpatient services are provided through general, specialty, and subspecialty outpatient clinics including a women's health center. Services are available to more than 206,000 Veterans living in a 53-county tri-state area (Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi).
The VAMC in Memphis is part of the VA MidSouth Healthcare Network, VISN 9, which includes facilities in Lexington and Louisville, KY; Huntington,WV; and Nashville and Mountain Home, TN.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The incumbent is the Assistant Nurse Manager of Sterile Processing Services (SPS). SPS is the central point within the facility providing the technical supply functions of collection, decontamination, processing, packaging, sterilization and distribution of al reusable patient care supplies, instruments and equipment RME).
- Responsible for quality management, reprocessing activities, to include those which occur outside of the SPS work area pertaining to training, competency assessment, development of standard operating procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring the availability and control of a large number of separately recurring reusable medical/surgical supplies and equipment, which have difficult supply and demand.
- Maintains and accurate medical equipment tracking system, which details specific preventive maintenance performed and equipment availability for patient care use.
- Manages the SPS Equipment Inventory Listing for all patient care equipment and other equipment assigned to SPS.
- Assists in developing, directing and maintaining a Quality Control Program ensuring product quality assurance through random sampling, biological testing, product assessment and related means.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
* Functional Statement Title/#:*RN-Assistant Nurse Manager/SPS
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- English Language Proficiency: RNs appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
- Possess a valid, unrestricted driver's license.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II- A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years' experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years' experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III- Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years' experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years' experience.
A Baccalaureate degree in nursing with a Master's in Nursing and three to five years of successful nursing with a Master's in Nursing and three to five years of successful nursing practice is preferred. Two to three years experience in Per i-Operative Nursing or Sterile Processing Services. Excellent assessment skills and the ability to work collaboratively are highly desirable. In addition the Assistant Nurse Manager must maintain a current certification in BLS/CPR.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
*Grade Determinations: *Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:To perform in a fully successful manner, the individual must have the physical ability to perform job-related duties which require lifting, standing, bending, transferring, stooping, stretching, walking, pushing, or pulling without assistance from another patient care provider or significant other. A health examination must be successfully completed prior to this assignment and periodically thereafter as required by the Employee Health Clinic policy. There will be intermittent exposure to blood and body fluids.
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating.
We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Reasonable Accommodation: This agency provides reasonable accomadations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accomodation for any part of the application and hiring process, you must notify the agency. This decision on granting reasonable accommadation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade,transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
Probationary Period:New appointees are required to serve a 2 year probationary period.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $51,171.00 to $93,148.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Control Number: 435854600
Job Announcement Number: RZ-16-MDA-1649711-OCA