Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse (Radiology) in Memphis, Tennessee
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Memphis, TN
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 6/16/2016 (133 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (64 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1726932
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
About the Memphis VA Medical Center:The VAMC in Memphis, Tennessee consists of one main campus located at 1030 Jefferson Avenue, which includes a sixty-bed Spinal Cord Injury Unit, and ten community based outpatient clinics (CBOC).It is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level 1 Facility and one of the most complex medical centers in the VA system. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology, as well as extensive education and research programs. Comprehensive primary, secondary, and tertiary health care is provided in areas of medicine, general cardiovascular and neurological surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury, neurology, oncology, dentistry, and geriatrics. Specialized outpatient services are provided through general, specialty, and subspecialty outpatient clinics including a women's health center. Services are available to more than 206,000 Veterans living in a fifty three county tri-state area (Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi).
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
This is an Open Continuous Announcement. The first cut off date for this announcement is* June 29,* 2016. All eligible applicants that apply before this date will be referred to the selection official. Any applicants that apply after this cut off date will be reviewed and sent to the selection official upon the request.
The Registered Nurse (Radiology) is responsible for:
- Documenting observations, assessment, and changes in patient's condition.
- Collaborating with health team members to facilitate positive patient care outcomes.
- Providing a full range of nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavior problems.
- Completing work in a timely manner and demonstrating the ability to assume leadership in a patient centered program.
- Communicating effectively with patients, families, visitors and members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Adhering to established policies, standard of care, and standards of practice.
- Ensuring support for the provision of evidence-based nursing care to meet individual patient requirements within the Nursing Service practice environment.
- Advocating for continuity and coordination of patient care needs both within and outside of the Medical Center, including all health care teams/members such as physicians, nurses, aides, Pharmacy, Social Services, Psychology/Psychiatry, Physical Therapy, Dietary and all other departments.
- Ensuring that patients receive thorough education and instructions related to care and treatment performed during their visit,
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:30pm-The incumbent will also be on a rotational call schedule for evening, night, weekend and holiday call.
Location : VA Medical Center, Memphis, TN
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. Citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Must be proficient in spoken and written English
- Nurse I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse II- A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years' experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III- Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3years' experience.
Preferred Experience: Have/maintain current certification in BLS/CPR
Note: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
*Grade Determinations: *Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
*Physical Requirements: * To perform in a fully successful manner, the individual must have the physical ability to perform job-related duties which require lifting, standing, bending, transferring, stooping, stretching, walking, pushing, or pulling without assistance from another patient care provider or significant other.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $51,171.00 to $93,148.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 441643300
Job Announcement Number: RZ-16-1726932-MDA-OCA