CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP Principal in Minneapolis, Minnesota
We’re searching for a Tax Principal in our Minneapolis, MN office. We need your strategic thinking and leadership savvy to maintain the highest standards of excellence for the firm on industry-specific engagements, grow our business, and develop the next generation of firm leaders.
- Assume full responsibility for all client services for clients in book of business.
- Delegate responsibility for engagements, communicate expectations, and be an ongoing resource to managers and staff.
- Final decision-maker on engagement issues and/or potential problems.
- Develop responsible, trained staff by assisting with recruiting, planning assignments, resolving problems, providing direct consultation to staff, and evaluating staff performance; responsible for hiring and firing staff.
- Review and sign engagement letters, discuss the nature and terms of assignments with clients and staff, approve fees, and ensure that signed engagement letter is returned prior to starting the engagement.
- Obtain or oversee obtaining of relevant information from client for corporate, S corporations, partnership, and individual tax returns.
- Break down and delegate complicated tax returns for staff completion, supervise execution, and review work of staff.
- Review tax returns, research, and compliance work with an eye to accounting theory and tax law compliance.
- Final review of files to ensure they possess the necessary signatures, contain the necessary supporting documentation, and comply with filing due dates; obtain proper filling extensions when necessary.
- Suggest client tax planning including projections, present alternative cases and evidence, propose solutions to outstanding tax issues or problems, and initiate client services unrelated to actual tax practice.
- Communicate, review, and discuss work results with clients.
- Supervise or complete research on highly complex tax matters and resolve ancillary tax issues to include matters related to special elections, correspondence, nonprofit organizations, estates and trusts, and gift tax returns.
- Cultivate complete knowledge of the firm's philosophy, policies, procedures, and practices; be conversant with its financial and related reporting, its letters relating to policy matters, and its opinions on financial matters.
- Maintain ongoing knowledge of general economic trends and of possible legislation that could affect the business climate.
- Keep current with Firm and State Board CPE compliance requirements.
- Continuously develop and expand knowledge and expertise, including technology, through learning opportunities: on-the-job, in the classroom, and through professional literature and associations.
- Demonstrate leadership among staff and other principals. Actively develop new business and expand services to existing clients.
- Demonstrate commitment to the firm through a willingness to devote time to the practice.
- Cultivate an understanding of the firm’s resources and when to involve other firm professionals.
- Act as instructor or discussion leader in professional development programs.
- Develop and train staff as well as prepare regular and timely staff evaluations.
- Approve invoices.
- Manage leveraging of staff time.
- Exhibit high standards of professional and social ethics.
- Maintain steady contact with clients throughout the business year, acquiring thorough knowledge of clients and all facets of their business to effectively attend to the client’s needs and to expand services as applicable.
- Communicate with managers and staff regarding engagement status, client problems, findings, and recommendations.
- Be approachable and responsive to staff and be willing to participate in staff development.
- Develop responsible, trained staff by providing counsel and advising on problems.
- Participate in meetings with bankers for financing arrangements, deal directly with clients’ attorneys or brokers, taxing authority agents, and other third party organizations.
- Take an active role in professional, civic, or charitable organizations; speak to groups and write articles for publication.
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in Accounting required; MST or advanced degree a plus
- 12+ years public accounting experience, including at least 5 years in a supervisory role
- Current CPA licensure required
- Ability to travel to client sites
- Demonstrated integrity and high professional ethics
- Demonstrated leadership ability, including the ability to acquire, develop, manage, and retain clients
- Manage and develop staff
- Gain confidence of staff, principals, and clients
- Ability to work well with people
- Ability to think independently and be committed to change
- Technical skills including: special expertise and experience in an area of the firm; the ability to plan, program, and complete assignments; the ability to take an analytical approach; the ability to speak and write well; and the ability to persevere in problem-solving.
- Professional traits, including an uncompromising commitment to quality; dedication to the profession, the firm, and to serving clients; strict adherence to professional ethics; civic responsibility; and a desire to develop others.
- Good practice management and organization skills and the ability to manage time, delegate effectively, and evaluate performance.
- Good business sense and conflict management capabilities.
ABOUT THE FIRM CliftonLarsonAllen LLP (CLA) is a professional services firm delivering integrated wealth advisory, outsourcing and public accounting capabilities to help enhance our clients’ enterprise value and assist them in growing and managing their related personal assets – all the way from startup to succession and beyond. Our professionals are immersed in the industries they serve and have specialized knowledge of their operating and regulatory environments. With nearly 4,400 people, 100 US locations and a global affiliation, we bring a wide array of solutions to help clients in all markets, foreign and domestic. Investment advisory services are offered through CliftonLarsonAllen Wealth Advisors, LLC, an SEC-registered investment advisor.
We are deeply invested in the success of our professionals and provide innovative career-building opportunities. At CLA, we aim to positively impact the clients we serve, the people we employ, the profession we represent and the communities we call home.
_CLA is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Requisition Number: 16-0660