Indian Health Service Land Surveyor (MI5105) in Minot, North Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Minot, ND
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 6/23/2016 (123 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1735339-DE++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located in the Minot District Office of Environmental Health and Engineering, Indian Health Service, located in Minot, North Dakota. The incumbent serves in the capacity to assist the Division of Sanitation Facilities Construction staff in the implementation of the Public Law 86-121 construction program on Indian Reservations within the Minot District and Great Plains Area. The position reports directly to the District Engineer.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS OPEN UNTIL THE VACANCY IS FILLED. IT MAY BE EXTENDED OR CLOSED PRIOR TO THE CURRENT CLOSING DATE. FIRST CUT OFF DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 10 BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE OPEN DATE AND EVERY 10 BUSINESS DAYS THEREAFTER.
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR REVISED: INCUMBENT MUST BE REGISTERED AS A REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL LAND SURVEYOR (R.L.S.)
- Surveying Planning and Design: gathering and organizing all required information prior to traveling to the field to research plan and schedule the survey in a method that will result in efficiency in the field.
- Surveying (Construction): required to independently operate GPS, total station, theodolite, laser level, or automatic or a number of other different types of survey equipment to produce design surveys including but not limited to: topographic, alignment, control, and boundary surveys. Required to utilizing the Auto Cad/Civil 3D software to generate construction surveying layouts (stationing) and surveying notes.
- Surveying (Legal): Incumbent must be registered as a Registered Professional Land Surveyor (R.L.S.).
- 50% or Greater
- Frequent and extensive travel is required.
- Relocation expenses WILL BE authorized and WILL BE PAID. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form may be required.
- Current, valid state driver’s license required (Submit a photo copy).
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Individual Occupational Requirements
1. Degree: land surveying; or civil engineering with a surveying option/emphasis. The civil engineering major must have included at least 6 semester hours of surveying, 3 semester hours of land law, and 21 additional semester hours in any combination of the following: surveying, photogrammetry, geodetic surveying, geodesy, route surveying, remote sensing, cartography, survey astronomy, land information systems, computer-aided mapping, aerial photo interpretation, and survey analysis and adjustments.
2. Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in land surveying or civil engineering as described in paragraph A, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
3. The basic requirements for this series may be fully satisfied by a current registration as a land surveyor in a State, territory, or the District of Columbia obtained by written examination. Such registration must have been obtained under conditions outlined in the National Council of Engineering Examiners (NCEE) Unified Model Law for Registration of Surveyors. Applicants wishing to be considered under this provision must show evidence of registration based on successful completion of the written examinations. Registrations granted prior to adoption of a registration law with qualification requirements equivalent to the NCEE Model Law by the State, territory, or District of Columbia are not acceptable under this option. To be considered equivalent to the NCEE Model law, registration laws must include the four options listed within the NCEE Unified Model Law in the section specifying "General Requirements for Registration" as a Professional Land Surveyor.
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR: Incumbent must be registered as a Registered Professional Land Surveyor (R.L.S.)
Basic requirements for all grades
The individual occupational requirements typically provide at least two methods for applicants to meet the basic requirements of the occupations covered by this standard:
1. Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study or specific course requirements generally as stated in paragraph A in the individual occupational requirements. Where specific course requirements are not indicated in paragraph A, the number of semester hours required to constitute a major field of study is the amount specified by the college or university attended. If this number cannot be obtained, 24 semester hours will be considered as equivalent to a major field of study. The nature and quality of this required course work must have been such that it would serve as a prerequisite for more advanced study in the field or subject-matter area. Related course work generally refers to courses that may be accepted as part of the program major.
2. Appropriate combination of education and experience that is typically specified in paragraph B of the individual occupational requirements. The "paragraph B" method generally requires that an applicant possess a core of educational credit, such as described in paragraph A above, plus additional education and/or experience. The method of determining the number of semester hours required to constitute a major field of study is the same as described in paragraph A. The quality of the combination of education and experience must be sufficient to demonstrate that the applicant possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform work in the occupation, and is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study with a major in the appropriate field. In addition to courses in the major and related fields, a typical college degree would have included courses that involved analysis, writing, critical thinking, research, etc. These courses would have provided an applicant with skills and abilities sufficient to perform progressively more responsible work in the occupation. Therefore, creditable experience should have demonstrated similarly appropriate skills or abilities needed to perform the work of the occupation.
GS-12:One (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level.
Examples of Specialized Experience: Examples of specialized experience may include applying land surveying disciplines, such as gathering information through observations, measurements in the field, or research of legal instruments, and data analysis in the support of establishing property boundaries; utilizing Federal and State laws and regulations relative to land conveyances; employing Federal and State land survey procedures to re-establish cadastral surveys and land boundaries based on documents of record and historical evidence; and operating electronic survey systems.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only).
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- The selectee will be expected to obtain their R.L.S. in both North Dakota and South Dakota within 1 year.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $71,012.00 to $92,316.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-1373-12/12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 442615900
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1735284-ESEP/MP