Illinois Tool Works, Inc. Quality Engineer - Automotive in Mokena, Illinois
Quality Engineer - Automotive at ITW
ITW Automotive – Fuel serves major OEMs and their tier suppliers with fuel systems and seating solutions and components totaling approximately $140M in revenues.
The division drives profitability by leveraging its innovative solutions and application engineering. In addition to ITW’s industry leading research and development capabilities, ITW Fuel enhance our customers’ competitive advantage by…
• Maintaining advanced engineering and manufacturing facilities across the globe.
• Exchanging product, process and benchmarking information with other ITW units worldwide.
• Continually improving processes, material and designs to ensure every product exceeds customer specifications while providing unparalleled value.
• Hiring, developing and retaining the best employees
Global Fuel is a business group within the Fuel and Seats division with manufacturing locations in Velka Bites, Czech Republic; Mokena, Illinois; LaGrange, Georgia, and in Mexico. Our fuel products are made up of housing and doors, innovative capless solutions, and charge ports for major OEMs around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develops and analyzes statistical data and product specifications to determine present standards and establish proposed quality and reliability expectancy of finished product.
• Directs workers engaged in inspection & testing activities to ensure continuous control over materials, facilities & products.
• Investigates and addresses customer complaints regarding quality.
• Participate in meetings and negotiations with customer, programs, and concerned functional management.
• Reviews control of non-conformance material disposition and re-inspection of reworked product.
• Document control of manufacturing and quality documents including distribution/removal of obsolete forms and work instructions.
• Oversees the creation of measurable charts for QOS reporting
• Directs and coordinates quality inspection of parts, components, and material produced by subcontractors and vendors. Participates in surveillance of subcontractors’ manufacturing processes and control subcontractor performance system.
• Directs sampling inspection and testing of received parts, components, and materials to determine conformance to standards and customer requirements.
• Reviews quality problems with engineering personnel and assists with action required to correct defect. Prepares periodic and special reports concerning departmental activities, problems, subcontractors’ quality system, schedules, and rejected items.
• Direct contact for customer quality related issues.
• Serves as liaison between Customer and ITW.
• Investigates and adjusts customer complaints regarding quality.
• Follows and stays current with TS16949 procedures and customer specific requirements
• Coordinates accumulation of APQP documents and assists with appropriate PPAP submission.
• Reviews Capability Analysis of Control Charts including monthly Pareto analysis of all SPC data and review of Control Charts.
• Overall authority to disposition suspect/rejected product.
• Customer concerns: Develops courses of action for alleviating and resolving concerns.
• Interfaces with both customer and subcontractors as required in such areas as: APQP, Part Number Control Plans, PPAP.
• Oversees check fixture design, build, and approval
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• 5-7 years’ work experience in manufacturing and quality
• Prior injection molding and automotive industry experience is required.
• Demonstrated experience in use of quality tools application (like G8D, 5xwhy, FMEA or Ishikawa), support excellence in using of these tools for all other employees
• Strong communicator – articulate quality strategy, message and empower team.
• Collaborator across business functions, especially engineering
• Continuous improvement mind-set
• Analytical with strong problem solving skills.
• Open to taking inputs from employees across levels
• Proactive mind-set
• Utilizes and shares best practices with other Plant Quality Managers in the division.
Key Competencies and Knowledge:
• Customer interaction
• Culture of quality
• Effective leadership
• Communication and negotiation with customer
• Ability to work cross-functionally with other departments
• Process expert
• To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, must be able to resolve maintenance/manufacturing requirements both through supervisor direction and independent process analysis. Must possess good communication/interpretation skills, good visual skills for accessing functionality of equipment, above basic mathematical skills, above minimum computer skill set, and reasoning ability. Physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential a functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Good color recognition and close visual recognition.