College of Western Idaho Adjunct Faculty, English in Nampa, Idaho
FLSA Status:Exempt* *
*DEPARTMENT: *School of Language Arts
*RESPONSIBLE TO: *Department Chair
This is a part-time faculty position. At this time, we are only able to employ those who reside in, or will relocate to, the State of Idaho.
English Adjunct faculty teach primarily first year composition courses but may also teach basic writing, literature, and creative writing courses. Adjunct faculty members teach contracted classes in accordance with established policies and guidelines. To reach a broad range of students, CWI encourages exploring alternative teaching styles and methods. Courses will be taught in traditional classroom settings and online. This position includes classes taught in the evenings/weekends and when necessary, at the College’s off campus centers. Applicants will be contacted as need for adjuncts arises.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Teach contracted credit load of courses in accordance with the descriptions published in the CWI catalog
- Utilize outcomes assessment measures
- Participate in instructional evaluation processes
- Meet all scheduled classes promptly with any deviations promptly and accurately communicated through the appropriate channels
- Monitors student placement in courses and student progress; maintains accurate records
- Demonstrate sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disability backgrounds of community college students
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in relevant field of study, with a minimum of 12 graduate credits in discipline
- Experience teaching secondary level students in field of study
- Ability to adapt to a variety of teaching methodologies including lectures, group activities, individual instruction, distance learning, and teaching with technology
- Demonstrated commitment to professional growth and development
- Proficiency in the use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation software, and Blackboard applications
- Three years’ experience teaching field of study at post-secondary level
- Successful experience teaching at a community college or with adult learners
- Experience using instructional technology preferred
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually working indoors, which means exposure to heating or air conditioning. There may be some outdoor exposure when transferring between locations. The noise level in the work environment is generally quiet, but varies based upon activity.
Tracking Code: 386-801
Salary Range: 895/credit