Washington State Administrative Assistant 3 -- Driver Examining in Olympia, Washington
How we do it! (Mission): With a strong commitment to great service, we advance public safety and consumer protection through licensing, regulation and education, and we collect revenue that supports our state's transportation system.
Why we do it! (Vision): Proudly earning Washington's confidence every day through the highest level of service and commitment to public safety.
Why be a part of it! Find out what employees have to say about our Culture and Diversity.
*This position is open to current DOL employees only. *
This position provides administrative support duties for Driver Examining HQ and 56 field offices statewide, coordinates office operations, and provides assistance to other work groups within the Department of Licensing under the guidance of State and Federal regulations, US code, administrative rules, DOL policies and procedures, Driver Examining policies and procedures, and applicable collective bargaining agreements, DOL correspondence standards, DOL clear communication guidelines, record retention schedules, and state travel regulations. This position interacts with other DOL personnel, public agencies, elected representatives, and the public to complete assigned work.
The AA3 duties also include, but are not limited to the following:
- Developing and maintaining essential excel spreadsheets and reports for the Driver Examining Unit.
- Developing and assisting in fiscal and budget plans.
- Assisting management in monitoring and creating letters and reports.
- Conducting and/or responding to surveys and studies.
- Establishing and ensuring adherence to administrative support procedures.
- Assisting in devising unit standards/procedures to ensure adherence to policies.
- Representing Driver Examining and serving as the primary contact in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Coordinating with other department staff members on administrative practices and procedures.
- Serving as a liaison between Driver Examining and other areas of the department or public.
- Transmitting assignments and requesting status information.
- Providing interpretation or explanation of supervisor's policies or viewpoints.
- Facilitating and organizing meetings, travel, interviews, and projects assigned to unit.
- Developing and recommending new work methods, procedures, or strategies to modify existing work methods, procedures, and strategies, with review by manager for implementation.
Working Conditions Candidates must be willing and able to do the following in this position:
- Work in office setting.
- Work with difficult, angry, and diverse customers.
- Local and/or overnight travel. Qualifications
Please ensure that your letter and résumé demonstrate the following qualifications.
High school diploma or GED. At least one year experience in the following:
Proficient in the following Microsoft applications:
- Word to create, format, edit, preview and save documents.
- Excel to create, modify, print, and format spreadsheets, find and replace data, and work with basic sorting tools and functions.
- Outlook to compose, send and respond to email and to use the calendar feature to set appointments.
- Internet Explorer to navigate the Internet for the purpose of finding and downloading informational resources and forms. In addition to the qualifications, applicant work histories must also demonstrate the following competencies:
At least three years' experience in the following:
- Earning the trust, respect, and confidence of coworkers and customers through fairness, truthfulness, honesty, sensitivity, reliability and professionalism in all interactions.
At least one year experience in the following:
- Using effective listening skills and applying effective written and oral communication techniques to convey clear, timely, persuasive messages that positively influence the thoughts and actions of others.
- Creating and nurturing a results-oriented culture that focuses on measurable outcomes by fostering teamwork and innovation to accomplish the organization's mission and goals.
- Handling highly stressful or adverse situations, making good decisions, working calmly and accurately, and helping calm others.
- Adapting easily to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities. Adapting approach, goals and methods to achieve successful solutions and results in dynamic situations.
- Using data and information to assess and understand issues, evaluate options, form conclusions and make decisions.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES: Additional consideration may be granted to applicants who meet the following in addition to the QUALIFICATIONS and COMPETENCIES above:
At least one year experience in the following:
- Answering telephones using professional phone etiquette while answering multi-line telephones, taking messages, transferring calls, and otherwise assisting others over the telephone.
- Typing speed of 40 words per minute, accounting for errors.
- Accurately using the 10 key numerical keypad.
- Willing and able to compose clear, technically correct business letters and other correspondence from drafts, memos, notes, or other instructions. Supplemental Information
To be considered for this vacancy, please ensure that you submit the following through this system. Failure to submit the required materials or information and failure to address the qualifications that support your letter will result in disqualification.
- A letter of interest clearly describing how you meet the QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES, and PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS listed.
- Your chronological résumé depicting work experience and/or education that support your letter of interest.
- A list of at least 3 professional references including names, professional titles, and current phone numbers.
*If you have questions about the process, or need assistance, please contact the recruiter listed below before the posting closes and before you submit your application. *
PLEASE NOTE: To take advantage of veteran's preference, please do the following:
- Email DD214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22 or signed verification of service letter from USDVA
- Use a subject line of "AA 3 Driver Examining".
- Include your name in the message as it appears on the application you submitted through the careers.wa.gov system.
- Send to HrRecruit@dol.wa.gov
The candidate pool certified from this recruitment may be used to fill future similar vacancies for up to six months.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Kimberleigh Amarigeat 360-902-4003 or email KAMARIGE@DOL.WA.GOV. Please reference recruitment number 16-260.
**Persons under final consideration for initial appointment with DOL are subject to a background check.
The Washington State Department of Licensing is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex (including gender identity), marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process, during the recruitment process, or who need this job announcement in an alternative format, may contact the Human Resources Office at 360-902-4000 or may email HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Job Type: Agency Internal - Permanent
Job Number: 16-260
Department: Dept. of Licensing
Closing: 10/25/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $2,724.00 - $3,541.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA