Washington State Applications/Web Programmer (IT Specialist 3) in Olympia, Washington
This position will remain open until filled. Applicant screening will begin on August 10, 2016.**
The Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals (BIIA) is offering a challenging and rewarding opportunity for the right individual to make a difference through serving the state of Washington. Our people are our most valuable resource: energetic, innovative thinkers who care equally about producing quality work, serving the public, and developing a culture that is great for all our employees.
The BIIA is a medium-sized state agency under the administration of three, full-time Board Members. The BIIA is independent from the Department of Labor and Industries (L&I;) and hears appeals from decisions made by L&I; in several areas. The three principal types of appeals are:
- Industrial insurance (workers' compensation).
- Safety citations under the Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act (WISHA).
- Employer Premiums (Tax Assessment or Classification). The BIIA is a great place to work! You can read employee testimonials on our website at http://www.biia.wa.gov/Jobs.html. Duties
The Information Services unit includes eight professionals who provide services and support to approximately 160 employees located in Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle, Yakima and Spokane. This position reports directly to a senior IT Specialist. Duties include:
- Develop, code, test and implement all changes related to web and desktop applications to replace or enhance mission critical business systems impacting BIIA business offices statewide.
- Perform design, development, programming, support and maintenance of the BIIA Internet and Intranet sites.
- Research, analyze, test and document agency business systems and office automation systems when modified or upgraded. Qualifications
- Three years of experience demonstrating programming skills using VB .NET, ASP .NET, SQL Server and T-SQL.
- Experience supporting and enhancing existing applications in compliance with specification and standards.
- Experience using PowerBuilder development tool.
- Experience using the Microsoft Office suite to develop macros using Visual Basic for Applications.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple work assignments and handle stressful situations.
- Experience serving as a part of a problem solving team addressing more complex issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong time management and problem resolution skills.
High professional and personal standards. Core Competencies
Customer Focus - Builds and maintains internal and external customer satisfaction with the services offered by the organization.
- Relationship Building - Builds constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of teamwork, cooperation and mutual regard.
- Ethics and Integrity - Earns trust, respect, and confidence of coworkers and customers through honesty, candor, and professionalism in all interactions.
- Adaptability to Changing Needs/Flexibility - Embraces changing business needs and adapts approach, goals, and methods to achieve success.
- Accountability - Takes responsibility for own actions and can be relied upon to achieve excellent results with little oversight.
- Effective Respectful Communications - In a respectful manner, conveys clear messages that are effective in communicating information and ideas with others.
- Safety Focus- Adhere to all workplace safety laws, regulations, standards and practices. Supplemental Information
- This position is located in the Olympia office. Minimal travel is required for meetings and events.
- This position is included in the bargaining unit represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees. The selected candidate must meet union shop requirements within 30 days of employment. Application Process:
To be considered for this position, you must submit the following with your online application:
- A cover letter detailing you experience
- A current resume
- A list of at least three professional references The cover letter and resume must be included using the Add Attachment(s) field. Please do not use the text resume within the online application. If you need assistance, please contact the BIIA Human Resources Office (360) 753-9639.
The Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam-era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources Office at 360-753-9639 orHROffice@biia.wa.gov.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-08151
Department: Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $4,313.00 - $5,657.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA