Washington State Contracts Specialist 3/IT Procurement and Contracting in Olympia, Washington
**Contracts Specialist 3
This position has been extended beyond its original closing date. The hiring manager may make a decision at any time, so we encourage you to apply right away. Next round application reviews will begin October 24, 2016. Note: If you have submitted an application, there is no need to reapply**
The mission of the Department of Enterprise Services (DES) is to implement a world-class, customer-focused organization that provides valued products and services to government and state residents. Our goal in every transaction is to deliver smart business solutions and services that meet the needs of those we serve.
Within DES, the Contracts, Procurement, & Risk Management (CPRM) Division provides both internal and external contracting and procurement support and services. Providing this type of support allows agencies to more appropriately focus their vital resources and energy towards fulfilling the vision and mission of their agency.
LEAN CULTURE: DES is on the leading edge in adapting Lean principles and methods to state government. We are fully committed to continuous process improvement and invite you to join our team. Once on board, you will become an integral part of our journey to transform DES into a world class, customer focused organization. To learn more about DES Lean culture, visit Lean Culture at DES.
We need someone who believes in consistently providing best value to our customers through ongoing contract and contractor reviews and assessments. By modeling a culture that promotes the practice of respect, trust, transparency, and collaboration, you'll be able to ensure our customers receive the regular and timely feedback they deserve. If you possess the ability to strengthen customer relationships, make changes where they are needed, and form professional relationships, then we encourage you to apply!
In this position, you will perform expert level statewide contract management of team's assigned information technology (IT) goods and services, according to the procurement policies and directives.
Some of what you'll enjoy doing:
- Developing complex competitive solicitations using strategic and critical thinking and posting opportunities in Washington Electronic Business Solution (WEBS) for interested and qualified vendor distribution.
- Conducting pre-bid conferences to address concerns and provide direction to bidders.
- Evaluating bids to determine responsiveness, responsibility, and assessing pricing, environmental and small businesses considerations.
- Rejecting non-responsive bids, handling the protest process, and executing contract awards along with other necessary contract actions at the expert level.
- Performing on-going contract and contractor reviews and assessments, utilizing critical thinking to ensure goods and services meet contract requirements, and contract prices remain competitive with the general market.
- Independently directing corrective action as required, implementing the cure process to correct performance, and coordinating contract terminations if required.
- Spearheading outreach efforts with customers and vendors providing regular, timely feedback and follow-up to continually strengthen relationships.
- Providing expert consultation services to internal and external clients regarding the development of acquisition plans and specifications.
- Proactively meeting with customers and vendors and seeking feedback on what's working and areas of potential improvement; implementing changes as needed.
- Representing the agency as a leader at trade shows and conferences as appropriate.
- Analyzing and interpreting market and industry data in making strategic decisions.
- Analyzing price adjustments and learning to forecast cost projections for the customers.
- Staying current with purchasing and industry standards to appropriately guide customers and vendors.
- Staying current with purchasing and industry standards to appropriately guide customers and vendors. Qualifications
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, public administration, business law, information technology, technical communications, economics or related field
Three (3) years of professional level experience in negotiating, writing, administering or terminating government contracts, contract cost/price analyses or contract compliance administration with a focus in Information Technology (IT) to include software licensing, IT Hardware, or IT Services.
A Master's degree in one of the above academic disciplines may be substituted for one (1) year of professional level experience.
A law degree from an accredited university or college approved by the Washington State Bar Association may be substituted for two (2) years of professional level experience and the required education.
Additional qualifying experience may be substituted, year for year, for the required education.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- A valid driver's license when operating a state or privately owned vehicle on official state business.
- Some travel required to attend customer/vendor meetings and site visits, commodity specific conferences, and procurement training events.
- Twelve (12) months working with Washington state laws and regulations governing government contracting
- Twelve (12) months experience in Policy development.
- Twelve (12) months using the state's contracting databases including WEBS and PCMS
- Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) or equivalent certification.
- Expert level vendor/customer relationship management
- Excellent customer service Supplemental Information
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- A letter of interest, describing how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
- A current resume, detailing experience, and education; and
A list of at least three (3) professional references with current telephone numbers. READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY:
The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the "duties summary" section of your application in Careers.wa.gov, completeness of the application material submitted, and the supplemental questionnaire.
- A resume will not substitute for completing the "duties summary" section of the application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire regarding work experience must be reflected in the "duties summary" section of the application.
- By submitting materials you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
- Prior to any new appointment into Department of Enterprise Services, a background check will be conducted. NOTE: As a condition of employment, the candidate accepting this position will be required to comply with the Union Security clause contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the state of Washington and the Washington Federation of State Employees. This means that, as a condition of employment the candidate must either join the union and pay union dues, or pay the union a representational or other fee within 30 days of the date you are put into pay status.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference MUST attach a copy of their DD214, or other verification of military service. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers.
Note: Applicants claiming veteran's preference points must attach the documentation with each on-line application. If you do not provide appropriate documentation to qualify for these preference points, the points will not be awarded.
For additional information on Veteran's Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible,click here.
We thank you and are grateful for your service
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Angie Anderson at (360) 407-8446 or firstname.lastname@example.org and use reference number: CPRM-011
The State of Washington is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with a disability who need assistance with their application or that need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access theWashington Relay Service.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-CPRM-011
Department: Dept. of Enterprise Services
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $4,418.00 - $5,804.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA