Washington State Field Asset Manager; Commerce Specialist 3 in Olympia, Washington
How would you like to be a member of a team that ensures the quality of affordable housing for low-income and special needs populations within Washington State?
There is a position available within the Asset Management & Compliance Team of the Housing Finance Unit (HFU) for the right candidate who is interested in conducting eligibility reviews and performing physical inspections throughout the state. The position requires both onsite and offsite inspections and/or reviews of affordable housing projects within the portfolio of HFU. Funding sources for these projects include state Housing Trust Fund (HTF), federal HOME and National Housing Trust Fund. In addition, this position provides technical assistance on industry best practices and household eligibility to contractors, property managers and site staff.
Does this sound like your perfect opportunity? If so, we invite you to apply today!
- Complete both on-site and off-site monitoring of projects throughout the state of Washington for contractual requirements including physical standards, programmatic compliance, and tenant eligibility within the allotted timeframe.
- Provide technical assistance to project owners and property management both on-site and off-site.
- Identify compliance risks for reporting to management and take appropriate corrective action when necessary.
- Work with the monitoring team to review, update and refine compliance monitoring protocols, processes, and templates that are used by Commerce staff.
- Participate on the statewide Combined Funders Monitoring Task Force and the Inspection Sub-Committee.
- Provide technical knowledge of portfolio projects during the application and funding round process to peers and management.
- Review financial and occupancy data for compliance with HFU program and contract requirements.
- Conduct capital needs assessment reviews, management plan reviews, and financial performance reviews to evaluate project and portfolio sustainability.
- Work with the monitoring team to establish performance thresholds and standards for the identification and escalation of compliance issues.
- Maintain Knowledge of Industry Best Practices. Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree AND three years of professional experience in working in the low income and affordable housing industry or in the commercial multi-family rental industry, including compliance, construction, repair, rehabilitation, or inspection.
- Professional level experience may substitute, year-for-year, for education.
- A graduate or advanced degree may substitute for one year of required experience.
- Thorough understanding of HUD, USDA RD or LIHTC housing program regulations.
- Thorough understanding of the Uniform Physical Conditions Standards (UPCS).
- Demonstrated understanding and application of building science principles.
- Demonstrated understanding of real estate transactions and legal documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time effectively.
- Strong communication skills to succinctly document and describe contract related issues
- Thorough understanding of the Housing Trust Fund, the federal HOME, and National Housing Trust Fund compliance requirements.
- Demonstrated experience with computerized inspection and reporting software.
- One year of experience working for or in partnership with organizations based in marginalized or underserved communities and/or Native American tribes.
- Public or private real estate development experience.
- Professional level experience working in the residential construction industry, including construction, repair, rehabilitation, or inspection. Supplemental Information
I want to work for Commerce! How do I apply?
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- A letter of interest describing how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
- A current resume detailing experience and education; and
- A list of at least three professional references.
The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of your application and the materials submitted. All information may be verified and documentation may be required.
For questions about this recruitment, please contact TyeRae Guined at 360-725-2704 or email@example.com.
Who we are:
At Commerce, we're a little different. But for you, it might just be the perfect fit. We're a state agency but operate like a business with the understanding we need to know our customer's needs to fulfill them. Our Olympia offices are open Monday through Friday (flexible schedules are available). Our parking is free and many of our employees bike year round. We also have an active bicycle loaner program.
Washington State offers commuting programs, including free, subsidized and reduced public transportation incentives. There are approximately 300 employees in our agency. We are committed to our work and value balance in our personal lives. We hire people for a position and encourage them to train for growth opportunities.
If this sounds like a good fit for you and you meet the qualifications, we encourage you to apply today!
What we do:
We are the lead state agency charged with enhancing and promoting sustainable community and economic vitality in Washington. We administer a diverse portfolio of more than 100 programs and several state boards and commissions, all focused on achieving one clear and simple mission: to grow and improve jobs in Washington.
Our key customers include businesses, local governments and community-based organizations. We also play the crucial role of convening numerous local, state, regional and federal partners and stakeholders, public and private. Together we work to support the Governor's priorities and achieve shared goals and objectives for the citizens of Washington.
Not from Olympia?
As the state's capitol, Olympia is located off Interstate 5 at the south end of the Puget Sound roughly half-way between Seattle and Portland, and less than a two hour drive to the coast, temperate rainforest, mountains, urban city, or farmlands. With year-round art festivals, parades, theater shows, concerts, and community events, Olympia and its surrounding cities have something for everyone. For parents, it boasts some of the best schools in the nation and the renowned HandsOn Children's Museum. Home to two universities (The Evergreen State College and Saint Martin's University), Olympia residents also have the opportunity to pursue a degree while working!
This position is covered by a union security provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the Washington Federation of State Employees, or pay other representational fees within the first 30 days of employment.
The Washington State Department of Commerce complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the federal Form I-9. The selected candidate must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States consistent with the requirements of that form on the first day of employment.
The Washington State Department of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application, testing, or interview process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call Human Resources at (360) 725-2650. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-10564
Department: Dept. of Commerce
Closing: 10/27/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $4,313.00 - $5,804.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA