Washington State Fiscal Analyst 1 (3 positions) in Olympia, Washington
The Opportunity: The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Accounting and Financial Services (AFS) division is currently seeking three (3) talented Fiscal Analyst 1's within the Payments and Receipts unit. These positions contribute to the mission of the department by ensuring vendor payments, contract payments and cash receipts comply with regulations and contractual obligations in support of delivery of WSDOT transportation projects. The incumbents are responsible for performing specialized payment duties and review and approve payments made by warrant or purchase card to external vendors. On an annual basis this unit processes approximately 25,000 payment vouchers and 30,000 PCMS transactions for various divisions of WSDOT.
WSDOT is the steward of a multimodal transportation system and responsible for ensuring that people and goods move safely and efficiently. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system consisting of over 18,000 lane miles and 3,600 bridge structures, WSDOT is responsible for the largest ferry system in the nation; owns three Talgo train sets in the Amtrak Cascades fleet; and works in partnership with others to maintain and improve local roads, railroads and airports, as well as to support alternatives to driving, such as public transportation, bicycles and pedestrian programs. Additionally, WSDOT manages the world's widest tunneling project and the world's longest floating bridge. WSDOT's diverse programs and projects are supported by more than 6,800 full-time employees, including engineers, vessel captains, maintenance technicians, environmental specialists, planners, and more. We take pride in our workforce and strive for excellence and integrity in everything we do.
This position will perform the following work:
- Interpret purchasing rules, travel regulations, Chart of Accounts, department directives, policies and procedures. Apply these rules and policies when auditing vendor payment vouchers and journal entries.
- Review invoices for required information. Enter invoice information into the department's accounting system, TRAINS.
- Analyze and review errors on vouchers rejected by TRAINS.
- Apply rules and procedures when auditing purchase card transactions for compliance with department and/or state requirements.
- Apply on-line authorization to the transactions in the department's Purchase Card Management System (PCMS).
- Review contract insurance requirements for every construction contract and ensure that they are met and maintained for the life of the contract.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- A Bachelor's degree, which includes 18 quarter of 12 semester hours in accounting, auditing or budgeting and one to two years of relevant professional experience. Professional experience may substitute for education but not for the credit hours.
- The ability to comprehend and understand accounting information produced by various automated systems, including but not limited to TRAINS, CAPS and PCMS.
- Excellent communication skills verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge and experience with GAAP.
- Ability to develop and produce reports, spreadsheets, instructions, procedures, memoranda, and etc., using a diversity of computer software (Access, Excel, Visio, Word, Power Point).
- Ability to operate a personal computer and a 10-key calculator.
Employment, Education and Criminal History Verification Due to the nature of this position a comprehensive background check will be conducted on the final candidate(s) prior to hire. Applicants will be required to sign a release of authorization prior to conducting the background check. Applicants will be notified prior to any adverse hire action taken as a result of a background check. Information received from the background check does not automatically make a candidate ineligible for employment. However, candidates that provide false or misleading information in their application and/or authorization may be eliminated from any further consideration. If you have questions regarding this process, please contact the recruiter listed above.
*Note: *These positions are covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
**Note: The first review of applicants will begin after seven days of the posting, therefore it is to the applicants advantage to apply as early as possible.
How to Apply: **Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large apply button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions. As part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest and resume. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position. Please follow all application instructions.
Contact us: *For inquiries about this position, please contact Chuck Johnson at 360-705-6846 or email to JohnCha@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number *2016-HQ-135.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-HQ-135
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $33,504.00 - $43,524.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA