Washington State Human Resource Consultant 2-Lead (Employee Relations) in Olympia, Washington
The Opportunity: The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is currently searching for an energetic, organized, team oriented leader to work with the Employee Relations unit in the Office of Human Resource and Safety in Olympia, WA., as a Lead Human Resource Consultant 2.
This position will act as an assistant to the Employee Relations Manager, providing comprehensive human resource services for the Headquarters Division managers and employees. They will need to independently plan, organize and carry out assignments; direct the work of HRC1 staff to ensure effective and efficient customer service; and ensure effective implementation of personnel policies and procedures. This position will need to be a proactive problem solver and be able to develop strategies/tactics which strike a balance between the needs of the Division and the interests of its employees.
The incumbent is expected to maintain a positive, growth-oriented learning environment assisting HRC1 staff with managing their daily activities in the Employee Relations office. As the top candidate, you will work in supporting and guiding the HRC1's, and working alongside the Employee Relations Manager assisting the supervisors, manager's and Appointing Authorities.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is the steward of a multimodal transportation system and responsible for ensuring that people and goods move safely and efficiently. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system consisting of over 18,000 lane miles and 3,600 bridge structures, WSDOT is responsible for the largest ferry system in the nation; owns three Talgo train sets in the Amtrak Cascades fleet; and works in partnership with others to maintain and improve local roads, railroads and airports, as well as to support alternatives to driving, such as public transportation, bicycles and pedestrian programs. Additionally, WSDOT manages the world's widest tunneling project and the world's longest floating bridge. WSDOT's diverse programs and projects are supported by more than 6,800 full-time employees, including engineers, vessel captains, maintenance technicians, environmental specialists, planners, and more. We take pride in our workforce and strive for excellence and integrity in everything we do.
This position will perform the following work:
- Work independently and as an advisor with HR staff in resolution of technical and professional human resource issues relating to personnel appointments, compensation and benefits.
- Works with staff to exercise sound judgment for salary placement, periodic increment dates, adjustment of service dates, reconciliation of compensation and benefit issues.
- Interpret and apply human resource rules, policies, procedures, regulations and Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Conducts quality assurance reviews on personnel related documents, identify discrepancies and initiate appropriate resolution.
- Assists employees with benefit enrollment ensuring HCA (Health Care Authority) rules, guidelines, policies, and procedures are administered correctly.
- Reviews request for utilization of state and federal leave programs (FMLA/Shared Leave) and makes eligibility determination.
- Provide training to new HR staff on technical issues, processes, procedures and systems.
- Act as point of contact in Employee Relations for the employee performance evaluations, providing guidance on policies and best practices for completing evaluations.
- Serves as unit liaison to recruitment, tracking status, initiating personnel actions for hiring activity, delegating work tasks and monitoring quality assurance of personnel actions.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Human Resources, Social or Organizational Behavioral Sciences or related field OR equivalent work experience.
- One year of professional human resources experience.
- Excellent customer service, with seasoned experience providing outreach and consulting to employees and managers.
- Experience using an HR management system for processing personnel/payroll; use of Washington State's Human Resource Management System is highly desirable.
- Advanced skills with MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Experience applying knowledge of employment law, rules, policies, procedures and collective bargaining agreements.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information orally and in writing.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and manage multiple interruptions within deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to retrieve information, conduct research and retain information for later reference.
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Phyllis Gratisat 360-705-7066 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 2016-HQ-166.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-HQ-166
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Closing: 11/1/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $42,492.00 - $55,728.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA