Washington State Internal Auditor (WMS1 6362W) Olympia in Olympia, Washington
**This recruitment is open until filled. Applicant review begins on October 20, 2016. The hiring authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time.
This is a Washington Management Service (WMS) Band 1 employment opportunity.**
Employment Security Department (ESD) is recruiting for an Internal Auditor. This position provides advice and guidance on internal controls and ethics standards, conducts internal audits and investigations. The Internal Auditor performs extensive analyses of complex business processes and related financial, compliance, performance and legal/policy matters and makes recommendations based on a thorough, objective analysis of the evidence gathered. This position works with agency management to achieve compliance with laws and regulations governing agency operations through identifying risks and continuously improving the quality of the agency's control environment and processes. It helps the agency to accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, controls, and governance processes. This position provides objective, professional analyses of selected agency operations and processes in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditor's (IIA) International Professional Practice Framework.
- Performs quality work under limited supervision that adheres to the IIA Standards, the IIA Code of Ethics, and other contemporary professional audit standards such as Generally Accepted Audit Standards and Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards.
- Manages responsibilities and multiple concurrent projects with tight timelines and limited resources.
- Responsible for researching, developing, and maintaining program guides, practices, templates, and tools to assist in complying with IIA Standards.
- Develops, recommends and implements approved planning strategies for short, mid and long term audit planning based on risk and grounded in leading professional and or industry practices.
- Leads or coordinates engagement planning using risk-based techniques. Defines audit objectives, establishes scope and strategies, consider needs and priorities of those who use/rely on internal audit services. Estimates resource needs and timelines to accomplish the approved plan, monitors the plan's progress and use of resources. IIA standards require these functions be carried out in a manner that is free from agency or other external interference.
- Develops and executes detailed audit work plans. Designs and incorporates analytical procedures and data analysis techniques. Remains alert for fraud indicators, adjusting the audit work plan appropriately.
- Conducts complex detailed analyses of the agency's internal operations and business processes to assess risk management practices, internal control design, and compliance with laws, rules, policies/procedures, contract terms/ conditions or regulatory requirements.
- Exhibits the highest level of professional objectivity in gathering, evaluating, and communicating information about the activity or process being examined.
- Determines the significance of results and issues, evaluates underlying cause(s), and develops corrective action recommendations that adequately address the risks identified. Makes a balanced assessment of all the relevant information and will not be unduly influenced by personal interests or the interests of others in forming judgments.
- Communicates timely and effectively during the course of providing services with users and stakeholders.
- Prepares formal and informal reports, memorandums, and or presentations.
- Maintains well organized project files and appropriate documentation to support analysis, decisions, and results.
- Participates in State Auditor's Office whistleblower investigations.
- At the discretion of the Internal Audit Director, serves as an audit liaison for external audit, investigations, or other activities. Qualifications
Required Education, Experience, and Competencies
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university Knowledge of:
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), Generally Accepted Governmental Auditing Standards (GAGAS) or the International Professional Practices Framework
- Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
Current professional control framework, theory, and techniques, such as: COSO – Internal Control Framework or Standards for Internal Control in the Federal Government (Green Book) Preferred/Desired Education, Experience, and Competencies
Three (3) years' of full-time professional auditing experience.
- Master's in public administration, business administration or closely related field.
- Certification as a Certified Public Account, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Governmental Auditing Professional, Certified Fraud Examiner, and/or Certified Management Accountant.
- Experience working with state and federal statutes and regulations, particularly Office of Management and Budget Circulars. Supplemental Information
Attach the following documents to your on-line application (through the Add Attachment(s) field):
- Letter of interest describing how you meet the requirements of the position
- List of professional references
A resume will not substitute for the "work experience" section of the application.
Other Information For inquiries about this opportunity, please contact the Recruitment Team at 360-902-9560 or HRRecruiting@esd.wa.gov.
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the application process or needing this job announcement in an alternate format should provide their contact information via e-mail or telephone.
Employment Security Department is an equal-opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Washington Relay Service–711.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-09941
Department: Employment Security Department
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $73,176.00 - $85,368.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA