Washington State Network Systems Engineer (EMS2) in Olympia, Washington
Network Systems Engineer (EMS 2)
The Network Systems Engineering bridges the gap between architectural conceptualization and tactical engineering and design. Network Architects cultivate enterprise-aligned strategies which the Network Systems Engineer employs a methodical and disciplined approach to integrate network infrastructure + architecture + and technology into strategically-aligned system solutions. This position serves as the highest level of technical expert responsible for the statewide enterprise networking.
*What would you be doing in this role? * You will have the opportunity to serve as Executive Management Advisor and Technical Consultant on data center switching, network routing, & system engineering design. Develop highly technical, reliable, & trusted network design solutions within data center and Wide Area Networking environment(s) that meet (or exceed) customer requirements. Lead short- and long-range strategic & tactical level planning workgroups, site surveys, & requirements gathering sessions with customers, Service Owners, and Subject Matter Experts.
In this position you will perform Quality Control of network design solutions/topologies, network device scripts, Virtual Domains, Circuit Design Records, network device port provisioning, data center facility cable cut-sheets, & billing invoices/quotes. Ensure Quality Assurance of network engineering workflows for process compliance. Provide a positive customer management experience in marketing network services for internal/external customers, commercial vendors, and strategic partners.
A little about our Division Network Services Division is responsible for data & telephony transport, services, infrastructure, & technology for the State of Washington. Customers include federal, state, local governments, non-profit organizations, cities & county municipalities, non-profit organizations, & educational entities. Network Planning and Design (P&D;) is the leader in strategic research, design, and integration of new technologies for Washington Technology Solutions (WaTech). Providing strategic technological services & network evolution enhancement initiatives, P&D; strives to provide our customers with flexible, practical, & cost-avoidance solutions aligned customer business & technical requirements coupled with the agency strategic roadmap(s). Network Infrastructure Engineers take conceptual designs and customer requirements and turn them into quantifiable solutions.
Here's What We Are Looking For: We want someone motivated that can help us change as fast as the technology landscape, are passionate about their work, and care about delivering value to our customers. We are looking for a technology leader to challenge themselves and their peers to provide the best service possible for our customers.
If this sounds like you and you meet the qualifications below please apply because we would love for you to be a part of our team.
- Five (5) or more years of integrating, engineering, & designing large-scaled carrier class (IP) data center & wide area networks with a high-level of expertise with the following:
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
- Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)
- Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
- Data Center Architecture (data center switching & WAN routing)
- Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)
- Network Segmentation (VLANs / VRFs)
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or an equivalent technical discipline from an accredited college or university, OR
- 10 years of quantifiable network engineering and design experience.
- Required IT certification(s):
- Valid Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Routing and Switching (R&S;) certification (verification required).
An Ideal Candidate Will Have These Desired Qualifications
- Expertise and working experience in configuring, managing, and administering the following:
- Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM)
- Virtual Domains (VDOM)
- Software Defined Networking (SDN)
- Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP)
- Desired IT certification(s):
- Any Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) certification
- Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA)
- Comp TIA Security+
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundation.
- Practical experience in educating, fact-finding, influencing, negotiating, collaborating, and summarizing to/for customers with ability to actively listen and interact effectively with others across a broad spectrum of managerial, administrative, and technical staff.
*How* to Apply:** Applications for this recruitment will only be accepted electronically. Please select the large apply button at the top of this announcement for instructions. You may need to create a profile and account in Washington State's automated tracking system, NeoGov. To be considered for this position you will need to answer any supplemental questions. As part of these questions you will need to provide a letter of interest and resume. Your letter of interest should clearly explain how your experience, training, and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
First round of application assessments will be conducted seven days after the initial job posting date. The hiring authority reserves the right to offer the position at any time during the recruitment process. It is to the applicant's advantage to apply as early as possible.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Wendy Brandat (360) 407-8799or email to Wendy.Brand@watech.wa.gov.
WaTech is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and equal access in a non-discriminatory manner to its programs and services for all persons without regard to race, creed, color, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any real or perceived sensory, mental, or physical disability.
Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or for an alternative format may contact the recruiter Wendy Brand at (360) 407-8799 or Wendy.email@example.com. Persons of disability or those who are deaf or hard of hearing can call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388. WaTech complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the federal Form I-9. The selected candidate must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States consistent with the requirements of that form on the first day of employment.
To learn more about WaTech please view our site.
Job Type: Exempt
Job Number: 2016-WaTech-0921
Department: Washington Technology Solutions
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $80,000.00 - $95,952.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA