Washington State Paralegal 2, Natural Resources Division, Attorney General's Office in Olympia, Washington
The Washington State Attorney General's Office (AGO) provides excellent, independent, and ethical legal services to the State of Washington and protects the rights of its people. The chief legal office for the state of Washington, the AGO's attorneys and staff in 27 divisions and 12 locations across the state provide legal services to roughly 200 state agencies, boards and commissions.
Led by Attorney General Bob Ferguson, the AGO works hard to protect consumers and seniors against fraud, keep our communities safe, protect our environment, and stand up for our veterans.
The Attorney General's Office is recruiting for a permanent full time Paralegal 2 in the Natural Resources Division. This position is located in Olympia, Washington. Note: There is the possibility of an in-training from the Paralegal 1 level.
The Natural Resources Division represents the Commissioner of Public Lands, Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Board of Natural Resources, Forest Practices Board, Board of Geographic Names, and other related committees.
The division provides a broad spectrum of client advice, dispute resolution, and litigation services. DNR manages three million acres of state uplands, generating as much as $300 million a year for trust beneficiaries, and also manages more than two million acres of aquatic lands. DNR also exercises extensive regulatory, environmental, and fire protection responsibilities on 11.8 million acres of state and private forest lands, and administers several programs designed to purchase property interests to protect riparian areas.
The salary listed above is for the Paralegal 2 level. Applicants qualifying at the Paralegal 1 level will start at a salary range 50 ($42,492 - $55,728 annually) and after successful completion of the in-training will move to the Paralegal 2 range.
This position provides paralegal services to members of the Natural Resources Division.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Investigate, gather, review and organize documents.
- Use computer databases to create, maintain, and track case-related matters, and assist in organization of complex litigation.
- Respond to discovery requests.
- Prepare draft discover requests including: interrogatories, requests for production, and requests for admission.
- Assist attorneys in preparing for depositions, assist at depositions, and prepare deposition summaries.
- Research and interview potential witnesses.
- Locate expert witnesses and attend hearings.
- Assist in trial preparation and at trial with preparation of trial notebooks and management of witnesses, documents, exhibits, and courtroom aids.
- Compose initial drafts of pleadings.
- Perform legal research as assigned by attorneys, shepardize cases, analyze case fact situations for legal issues identification and develop legal strategy.
- Critical Events Reader according to division policy. Qualifications
To qualify at the Paralegal 2 level:
Option 1: Graduation from an accredited two-year paralegal program plus two years' experience as a paralegal.
Option 2: Graduation from an accredited four-year college and completion of a nine-month paralegal program plus one year experience as a paralegal.
Option 3: Three years' experience as a paralegal.
Option 4: Two years as a Paralegal 1.
To qualify at the Paralegal 1 level:
Option 1: Two years' experience as a paralegal;
Option 2: Graduation from an accredited two-year paralegal course;
Option 3: Graduation from an accredited four-year college and completion of a nine-month paralegal program or one year paralegal experience.
Option 4: Three years' experience as a legal secretary/legal assistant and 30 quarter or equivalent semester hours in non-secretarial legal courses which are normally part of a paralegal course at a college or community college.
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- A letter of interest, describing your specific qualifications for the position;
- A current resume detailing experience, education, and current salary.
READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION COMPLETELY:
- Carefully review your application for accuracy, spelling and grammar before submitting.
- You may not reapply to this posting for 30 days.
- The initial screening of applications will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the "work experience" and "education" sections of your application in www.careers.wa.gov, completeness of the application material submitted, and responses to the supplemental questionnaire.
- A resume will not substitute for completing the "work experience" section of the application.
- All information may be verified and documentation may be required.
The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodation in the application process or requiring this announcement in an alternative format may contact Tracy Robinson at (360) 586-7693 or Washington Relay Service at (800) 676-3777 or www.washingtonrelay.com.
For questions regarding this recruitment or assistance with the application process, please contact Judith Vandergeest at (360) 586-7691 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please call NEOGOV toll-free at (855) 524-5627 or email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-10588
Department: Attorney General's Office
Closing: 10/24/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $3,907.00 - $5,126.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA