Washington State Traffic Safety Engineer - WMS Band 3 in Olympia, Washington
The Opportunity: The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is searching for a unique individual to serve as the State's Traffic Safety expert who will play an instrumental role in meeting the goals of Washington State's Strategic Highway Safety Plan: Target Zero, eliminating fatal and serious injury traffic collisions.
This position, based out of WSDOT's headquarters Traffic Division located in Olympia, WA., leads a multidivisional technical team of highway safety experts to develop and implement policy and procedures incorporating the AASHTO analysis techniques, which includes implementation and engineering support of the SafetyAnalyst software tool.
This position has major impacts on the design, construction and operation of state highways and requires close collaboration with the Washington State Traffic Safety Commission, Washington State Patrol, WSDOT regions and staff from Traffic, Design, Maintenance, Capital Program Development and Management, Highways and Local Programs, and Risk Management to ensure the consistent approach and application. You will apply advanced management principles and leadership skills in the area of traffic engineering and develop and implement traffic operational solutions for complex issues and activities. In this highly fluid and politically charged environment, the incumbent's decision making, and communication skills will shape tactical and strategic outcomes covering a broad range of traffic safety and operational goals.
WSDOT is the steward of a multimodal transportation system and responsible for ensuring that people and goods move safely and efficiently. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system consisting of over 18,000 lane miles and 3,600 bridge structures, WSDOT is responsible for the largest ferry system in the nation; owns three Talgo train sets in the Amtrak Cascades fleet; and works in partnership with others to maintain and improve local roads, railroads and airports, as well as to support alternatives to driving, such as public transportation, bicycles and pedestrian programs. Additionally, WSDOT manages the world's widest tunneling project and the world's longest floating bridge. WSDOT's diverse programs and projects are supported by more than 6,800 full-time employees, including engineers, vessel captains, maintenance technicians, environmental specialists, planners, and more. We take pride in our workforce and strive for excellence and integrity in everything we do.
This position will perform the following work:
- Serves as the State Traffic Safety technical expert.
- Leads the development and implementation of statewide traffic safety initiatives, including implementation of the Highway Safety Manual and SafetyAnalyst software.
- Influences the design, construction, maintenance, and operation of state highways.
- Analyzes traffic collision data and develops policy and guidance for applications statewide
- Collaborates with the WSDOT regions and staff from Traffic, Design, Maintenance, Capital Program Development and Management, Highways and Local Programs, and Risk Management to ensure consistent approach and application.
- Provides traffic collision analysis and database training for WSDOT, WTSC, local agency, and consultant staff.
- Serves as the Headquarters Traffic Division technical expert for the Corridor Safety program.
- Effectively communicate technical and non-technical safety issues to a variety of audiences.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineer or similar degree.
- Professional Engineers License in Washington State.
- At least 7 years of practical traffic safety management and traffic operations experience.
- Prior experience leading traffic engineering, traffic operations, traffic design and traffic safety management.
- In depth knowledge of the Highway Safety Manual application.
- Prior experience using SafetyAnalyst software.
- Expert knowledge in traffic engineering principles, practices and policies in traffic operations, freeway operations, and traffic safety management.
- Prior experience effectively and professionally representing.
- Ability to travel in state and overnight.
- Ability to occasionally traverse uneven terrain, in inclement weather conditions.
- Valid driver's license
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Phyllis Gratisat 360-705-7066 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 2016-WMS-084.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-WMS-084
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Closing: 10/30/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $84,936.00 - $108,912.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA