Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician Assistant / ARNP - Emergency Department (Mid-level practitioner) in Orlando, Florida
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Orlando, FL
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 2/18/2016 (251 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (66 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1593696
This Open Continuous Announcement (OCA) allows acceptance of applications throughout the year with eligible applicants being considered and referred when vacancies occur. This announcement will remain open until December 31, 2016.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans? Officially established in October 2006, the Orlando VA Medical Center is one of the Top 100 Companies in Central Florida for working families. The Orlando VA Medical Center includes the following facilities; a 120-bed Community Living Center and a 60-bed Residential Rehabilitation Program (located at the Lake Nona Campus), Outpatient Clinics in Orlando (Lake Baldwin), Viera and Daytona Beach and four Community Based Outpatient Clinics located in Clermont, Kissimmee, Leesburg, and Orange City. Our new medical center is currently open for many outpatient services and will continue to open more services, including inpatient beds and an emergency department, throughout 2016. The new 65-acre medical campus has 134-inpatient beds and provides acute care, complex specialty care, advanced diagnostic services, a large multispecialty outpatient clinic, and administrative and support services.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Note: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and step at which the candidate will be placed. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
The Orlando VAMC is seeking a full-time Physician Assistant/ARNP (Midlevel) for the Emergency Department.
The PA primary duties in the Emergency Department: The direct supervisor of the PA will be the Chief of the Emergency Department, and the Deputy Chief of Staff will be designated as alternate supervising physician. In addition, the PA works with consulting specialist and contract/fee basis emergency medicine specialists.
- Performs comprehensive history and physical examinations and initiates treatment when indicated for acute and chronic medical conditions.
- Orders diagnostic laboratory and imaging tests as needed. Interprets and applies findings to make a medical diagnosis.
- Uses prescriptive authority granted by licensure to prescribe and administer routine therapeutics including medications, devices and procedures.
- Uses electronic record for documentation. Initiates consultation requests and records required notes on all procedures or patient visits in the in the electronic medical record. Participates in peer review and process improvement.
- Performs procedures that are delineated by scope of practice. Emergency procedures may be required in situations where the physician is not immediately available and may include initiation and assisting in management of cardiac arrest, acute respiratory failure and first aid for life threatening injuries.
- Provides customer focused and cost effective approach to all aspects of patient care.
- Educates and counsels veterans and families for promotion and maintenance of health as well as prevention of illness and disability. Instructs patients and families concerning treatment, medications and reportable signs and symptoms associated with their diagnoses.
- Ensures that the practice is consistent with Joint Commission, CARF, VA policies and procedures, clinical practice emergency medicine guidelines, VISN standards, national statutes and regulations, medical record documentation, mandatory continuing education, and HIPPA policies.
- Engaged in systematic evaluation and improvement of the quality and effectiveness of patient care.
THE ARNP primary duties: Maintain written authorization, Scope of Practice, Policies/Procedures, to initiate medical aspects of patient care which are agreed upon and reviewed no less than biannually by the ARNP and managing physician (Texas Nursing Practice Act). Make practice decisions autonomously and/or in collaboration with physician(s) and health care professionals. The ARNP is responsible and accountable for his/her actions.
- Assumes responsibility for organizing and managing a caseload of inpatients/outpatients.
- Initiates Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), including cardio-version and defibrillation, and First Aid when physician is not immediately available; to extent that training supports.
- Treats respiratory distress and/or other emergent conditions in the absence of a physician or until a physician is present.
- Treatment of life threatening traumatic injuries
Work Schedule: This open-continuous announcement may be used to fill various work shifts/schedules. All shifts will require work day/hours flexibility as patient care needs require.
The selectee may be required to work or travel between any of the locations within Corporate Orlando. The selectee may also be required to work various shifts on a permanent or temporary basis, based on patient care needs.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies in similar positions within corporate Orlando. This includes the same grade level and occupational series, but may be used for a different service or location.
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and/or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
Nurse Practitioner Qualifications:
- Citizenship*:*Citizen of the United States.
- English Language Proficiency*:*No person shall be appointed to direct patient-care position unless you are proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
- Physical Requirements*:*Must pass a pre-employment physical.
- Education and Training:Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript.
- Certification: Must maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. [The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.]
- Education/Experience Requirements:
- Nurse II - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN or bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requiremetns for appointemnt and has doctoral degree in related field.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN or bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
VA HANDBOOK 5005, PART II, Appendix G6. http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005.pdf**
Physician Assistant Qualifications:**
Basic Qualification Requirements:
- Citizenship:**Citizen of the United States.**
- English Language Proficiency:**No person shall be appointed to direct patient-care position unless you are proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).**
- Physical Requirements*:*Must pass a pre-employment physical.
- Education or Training:
- **1. Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.**
- Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA.
- Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis (38 U.S.C. 7405), for a period not to exceed two years, as provided in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section G, Paragraph 5.
- If a PA's NCCPA certification is suspended, revoked or expires, the PA must be removed from the occupation which may result in termination of employment.
VA HANDBOOK 5005, PART II, APPENDIX G8.*http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005.pdf*
ER experience is preferred but not required.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once your complete application is received we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications. Applicants will receive (up to) four status updates during the course of this recruitment action. They are:
- Receipt of application.
- Whether or not you meet the eligibility/qualification requirements for the position.
- Whether you were referred to the selecting official for further consideration.
- Final disposition on the recruitment action (e.g., was the position filled, re-announced, etc.).
We will also review your application to make sure that your resume supports the answers given in the questionnaire.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process please notify Deborah True, Human Resources Specialist, at (407) 631-4811. Decisions to approve reasonable accommodation requests are made on a case-by-case basis. Applications submitted outside of the automated application process may not be considered unless an accommodation to the application process has been granted. All application materials must be received by the end of the day on the closing date of this announcement to be considered.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $0.00 to $0.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0603, 0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 425827800
Job Announcement Number: ZY-16-MG-1593696-BU