Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse, Dialysis in Orlando, Florida
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
3 vacancies in the following location:
- Orlando, FL
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (9 day(s) ago)
** Closes Sunday 10/30/2016 (4 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1826572
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Officially established in October 2006, the Orlando VA Medical Center is one of the Top 100 Companies in Central Florida for working families. The Orlando VA Medical Center includes the following facilities; a 120-bed Community Living Center and a 60-bed Residential Rehabilitation Program (located at the Lake Nona Campus), Outpatient Clinics in Orlando (Lake Baldwin), Viera and Daytona Beach and four Community Based Outpatient Clinics located in Clermont, Kissimmee, Leesburg, and Orange City. Our new medical center is currently open for many outpatient services and will continue to open more services, including inpatient beds and an emergency department, throughout 2015. The new 65-acre medical campus has 134-inpatient beds and provides acute care, complex specialty care, advanced diagnostic services, a large multispecialty outpatient clinic, and administrative and support services.
*VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related postions in the VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority. *
Position Summary: The Orlando VA Medical Center is seeking Dialysis Registered Nurses who have the clinical competence required to deliver Hemodialysis care and Peritoneal Dialysis in an outpatient chronic dialysis unit which also provides dialysis for hospitalized in-patients and acute hemodialysis for critically ill Veterans in the ICU areas. Knowledge in acute, chronic and home dialysis programs ideal. The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Oversees the preparation of the delivery system, dialysate bath, and dialyzer and confirms that all mandatory alarm tests on the dialyzer and equipment are performed.
- Reviews physician orders for dialysis patients, collects pre-treatment dialysis data, and reviews patient records prior to dialysis.
- Conducts pre-dialysis patient assessment including obtaining patient vital signs and assessing the patient's vascular access, laboratory findings, and the patient's general health Verifies that patients are taking all prescribed medications and performs medication reconciliation.
- Documents findings of patient assessments and interventions and advises providers of any significant change in the patient's condition and other pertinent information.
- Discusses patient concerns and answers questions relevant to care.
- Oversees dialysis technicians in the performance of dialysis from start to finish, monitors patient reaction to treatment and performance of the dialysis machines, and demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the mechanics of dialysis.
- Assesses, prepares, and consulates a patient's vascular access (including needle insertion in arterioveinous fistula or grafts for aseptic connection with dialysis equipment) Utilizes sterile techniques to assess the dialysis catheter exit site and to apply dressing on the patient's vascular access (dialysis catheter, arterioveinous access) per protocols.
- Maintains skills necessary to perform surveillance on dialysis access (catheter, fistula, graft) for early signs of failure or infection.
- Reviews patient's electronic/paper records for orders as appropriate and administers dialysis-related intra-venous and/or oral medications as prescribed and/or per protocol.
- Conducts post dialysis assessment and patient discharge by evaluating treatment.
- Provides patient education/teaching applicable to the patient's medical condition.
- Refers patient to other disciplines or services as needed (nutrition, social work, etc.)
- Performs other treatments and diagnostic tests such as blood sugar testing and other tests required as part of patient treatment.
The Dialysis RN will report to the Dialysis Nurse Manager, VAMC Orlando.
WORK SCHDULE: Normal work days/hours will be Monday-Saturday; occasional Sundays, required On-Call rotation.
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and/or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
(1) A Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing highly desirable, with a Master's Degree in Nursing or a related field preferred.
(2) A minimum of three (3) years of previous dialysis experience strongly preferred. BLS required.
(3) US Citizenship and English language proficiency required.
(4) Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
(5) Current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the US or in the District of Columbia.
(6) Demonstrated ability in previous assignments to make critical decisions in stressful environments.
(7) Demonstrated dependability for duty and flexibility in work assignments and hours in previous assignments.
(8) Knowledge of computer systems and standard software programs.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Grade Determinations:Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows: Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization; Professional Development: performance, education/career development; Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality; Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G6 Nurse Qualification Standards.
Note: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
To verify if your degree is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) click here http://www.acenursing.us/accreditedprograms/programSearch.htm.
To verify if your degree is accredited by the Accreditation Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) click here http://ccne.desertrose.net/reports/accprog.asp.
Physical Requirements:The incumbent of the position performs direct patient care and must meet the below physical requirements to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Lift 45 lbs. or over, Carry 45 lbs. or over, Straight pulling, Pushing, Reaching above shoulders, use of fingers and both hands, Walking, Standing, Kneeling, Repeated bending, Near vision (correctable), Far vision (correctable), Ability to distinguish basic colors, Ability to distinguish shades of colors, Hearing, Emotional stability. This is a testing-designated position, subject to random pre- and post-employment testing for illegal drug use, Environmental Factors: Inside work, Constant noise, Dust, Fumes, smoke or gases, Working closely with others, Protracted or irregular hours of work, Exposure to infectious diseases. This is position is designated as a random drug testing position.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once your complete application is received we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications. Applicants will receive (up to) four status updates during the course of this recruitment action. They are:
Receipt of application.
Whether or not you meet the eligibility/qualification requirements for the position.
Whether you were referred to the selecting official for further consideration.
Final disposition on the recruitment action (e.g., was the position filled, re-announced, etc.).
We will also review your application to make sure that your resume supports the answers given in the questionnaire.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
VA support the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS: In accordance with the provisions of the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) Master Labor Agreement, VAMC Orlando selecting officials must consider candidates internal to the Department of Veterans Affairs for selection before they can consider applicants who are not current employees of the VA.
Reasonable Accommodation: This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process please notify Deborah True, Human Resources Specialist, at 407-631-4824. Decisions to approve reasonable accommodation requests are made on a case-by-case basis. Applications submitted outside of the automated application process may not be considered unless an accommodation to the application process has been granted. All application materials must be received by the end of the day on the closing date of this announcement to be considered.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you MUST submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 90 or more) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp.
Basis of Rating: Applicants will be rated on the basis of the quality and extent of their total experience, education, and training in relation to the requirements of the specific position for which they are being considered. Ratings will be based on competitor's statements in their applications and on any additional evidence that may be secured through inquiries of qualifications.
Management reserves the right to use alternative methods of selection. Additional selections may be made to fill similar Corporate Orlando staff positions from the list of candidates who apply for this position. A new announcement will not be posted when this is the case.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The Orlando VA Medical Center strictly prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, race or color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, language, physical or mental disability, socio-economic status, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.
Salary Range: $48,220.00 to $99,908.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-01/01
Promotion Potential: 03
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453527800
Job Announcement Number: ZY-16-DC-1806572