Washington State Maintenance Lead Technician - Hood Canal Bridge in Other, Washington
Please Note: This position is currently open to permanent WSDOT employees only.
The Opportunity: The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Olympic Region is seeking a Maintenance Lead Technician to assist in the maintenance and operations of the Hood Canal floating bridge.With an unwavering commitment to safety, the Maintenance Lead Technician will provide direction and guidance to the maintenance crew while coordinating daily work activities. This position will coordinate the inspection, maintenance, repair, and component replacement of a 7,000 foot floating draw bridge that crosses navigable intercostal tidal waters. The incumbent will work closely with the United States Coast Guard, United States Navy, and Local and State Law Enforcement to ensure bridge operations, maintenance, and security are delivered to the highest standard without disrupting service to mariners and the motoring public.
An ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a strong understanding of floating bridge engineering, anchoring systems and troubleshooting for a floating mega structure. This position will have to work long shifts, weekends, holidays, and severe storm events. The Maintenance Lead Technician needs to be an adaptive leader, one who is able to independently make decisions regarding the daily work of the crew members, and be able to work side by side with the crew during regular maintenance activities.
This position will perform the following work:
- Prioritize and plan bridge maintenance and inspections for electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical operating systems, as well as steel and structural components.
- Provide direction on how to inspect, repair, maintain, and rebuild sophisticated automated control systems.
- Support Bridge Preservation and Design Offices to scope, plan, and deliver needs beyond normal maintenance.
- Oversee and inspect over 1,200 water tight compartments and enter inspection data into a database for the Bridge Preservation Office to review.
- Communicate orally and in writing with other team members, support offices, the traveling public, and the US Navy, Coast Guard and WSP.
- Lead, supervise, and train assigned employees in safe and efficient bridge maintenance operations.
- Plan, layout, and establish and perform traffic control functions for road and bridge closures.
- Able to respond within 60 minutes in case of emergencies.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) without airbrake restriction and current medical card.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- 2 or more years' experience in highway or roadway maintenance.
- One year of experience as a Maintenance Technician 3, or Maintenance Specialist 3; OR two years' experience as a Maintenance Technician 2, Maintenance Technician 2, Bridge, or Maintenance Specialist 2.
- Journey level experience in one or more of the following trades: mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, structural concrete, steel or carpentry.
- Washington State Flagging card.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work as the acting supervisor in the supervisor's absence.
- Understanding of weather and tidal movements, and how they affect the bridge operation and service life of all the systems.
- Respond to emergency call outs, work different and/or extended shifts on short notice (days, nights and weekends), and perform standby duty.
- Lift and transport up to 50 pounds.
- Communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- Must have intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite programs including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
*Note: *This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
Condition of Employment:WSDOT is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
How to Apply: Applications for this recruitment will only be accepted electronically. Please select the green apply button at the top of this announcement for instructions. You may need to create a profile and account in Washington State's automated tracking system, NeoGov. To be considered for this position you will need to answer any supplemental questions. As part of these questions, you will need to provide a letter of interest and resume. Your letter of interest should clearly explain how your experience, training, and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us: *For inquiries about this position, please contact *Rachel Giese at 360-905-2223 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 2016-OR-056.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Agency Internal - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-OR-056
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Closing: 10/23/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $46,884.00 - $55,728.00 Annually
Location: Kitsap County – Other, WA