West Suburban Medical Center RN Oncology Certified Nurse Full Time Days in Palm Springs, California
RN Oncology Certified Nurse Full Time Days (Job Number: 1605049098)
The OCN Registered Nurse serves in a leadership role and delivers direct patient care to assigned population.
These services further the vision of Desert Regional Medical Center to create unique environments, where patients, their families, doctors and staff come together to achieve longer and better lives in the fight against cancer.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
• Demonstrates independence in assessing patient care needs and learning needs on routine and complex pediatric, adult and geriatric patients to develop plan of care.
• Assists RN I and RN II with assessment of complex patients.
• Documents pertinent nursing assessment, including physical and psycho-social on all assigned patients.
• Demonstrates understanding of lab diagnostic data and incorporates in assessment; acts as a resource for others in interpreting results.
• Identifies situations with complex variables, determines inter-relationship of variables and acts as consultant to RN I and RN II in assessing non-routine situations.
• Identifies potential and/or existing patient care problems within assignment and assumes responsibility for problem resolution, solving and utilizing resources appropriately.
• Initiates and follows through with appropriate referrals to other interdisciplinary healthcare team members.
• Determines optimal patient care priorities and assists other team members with priority planning.
• Plans care and education based on disease process and desired patient outcomes. Ensures continuity of services provided to patients across all healthcare settings, utilizing protocols and/or clinical pathways, as appropriate.
• Involves patient and care giver(s) in planning and setting of goals for care and incorporates these goals in the delivery
• Provides nursing care and patient education to assigned routine and complex patients, applying standards of care, policies and procedures, utilizing effective time management and instituting measures for a safe environment.
• Demonstrates knowledge of principles of growth and development throughout the life-span to competently provide care of pediatric, adult and geriatric patients.
• Documentation reflects the evaluation of the effectiveness of patient and/or care giver(s) education and discharge planning.
• Assists other team members in the completion of assignments, and is active as a resource, preceptor and role model.
• Performance reflects compliance and expertise based on principles as described and demonstrated in annual competencies.
• Discusses concerns or conflicts in appropriate setting, utilizing appropriate and effective verbal and non-verbal communication; recognized by co-workers as a role model for effective and professional communication.
• Maintains confidentiality of department and CCC patient information. Interacts with patient/care givers, physicians and CCC team in a positive proactive manner.
• Communicates with family and patient, taking into consideration cultural, educational and age specific criteria.
• Expresses ideas clearly; listens effectively; keeps others informed as necessary; chooses a appropriate and timely communication methods; willingly shares information.
• Modifies care delivery based on observations of patient’s responses to interventions
• Utilizes continuous quality improvement measures to modify patient care to provide quality patient care outcomes.
• Initiates and applies new clinical interventions, based on expert knowledge, technical competency and literature review.
• Identifies recurring clinical issues and uses leadership skills to change or solve them.
• Consistently (verbal and non-verbal) supports administrative actions by serving as role model.; uses conflict resolution actions when conflicts or concerns are evident.
• Demonstrates the ability to act calmly, decisively and timely in difficult/emergent situations.
• Accomplishes unit goals through co-worker motivation.
• Patient, pharmacist, physicians, lab personnel, and other departments of the CCC
• Community in a positive pro-active manner.
• Participates in professional organization
Caring for patients in a complex environment meeting regulatory guidelines, and insurance restrictions, while providing quality patient care.
DECISION MAKING RESPONSIBILTIES
1. Evaluates and reports pertinent observations regarding patient’s response to nursing and treatment intervention, changes in patient status to Charge Nurse and/or Physician, as appropriate.
2. Initiates hold status on orders, determines need to clarify orders, confirms “go ahead” on orders as needed.
• Complies with regulatory requirements (i.e. TJC) appropriate for position
• Current CA RN license (must maintain current at all times)
• Current BLS (must maintain current at all times)
• Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN)
• Competency in intravenous skills and vascular access device management
• Two years experience in oncology nursing
• Cooperative skills
• Preceptor skills
• Adult and pediatric education skills
• E-mail, word basic skills
• Management, supervising skills
• Mentoring abilities
• Advanced communication skills
• Problem solving abilities
• Sound ethical philosophy and compassionate relationship skills
Primary Location: CA-Palm Springs
Organization: Desert Regional Medical Center