West Suburban Medical Center RN Oncology Per Diem Days Comprehensive Cancer Center in Palm Springs, California
RN Oncology Per Diem Days Comprehensive Cancer Center (Job Number: 1605048633)
The Registered Nurse delivers direct care to assigned adult and or geriatric patients in an ambulatory setting. Nursing care is delivered using standards of care by following approved policies and procedures.
These services further the vision of Desert Regional Medical Center to create unique environments, where patients, their families, doctors and staff come together to achieve longer and better lives in the fight against cancer.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
• Assesses appropriately patient care needs and learning needs in routine pediatric, adult and geriatric populations.
• Demonstrates ability to document pertinent nursing assessment including physical and psycho-social findings on all assigned patients.
• Demonstrates ability to interpret and use routine lab and diagnostic test results.
• Demonstrates ability to apply new knowledge in routine and less complex patient situations.
• Prioritizes identified patient care problems within assigned patients and assumes responsibility for problem resolution, utilizing all resources as appropriate.
• Plans patient care and education based on disease process, anticipated patient outcomes, complications of treatment, and psycho-social needs in collaboration with other healthcare team members.
• Initiates and follows through with appropriate referrals to other interdisciplinary healthcare team members.
• Involves patient and care giver(s) in planning, setting of goals for care, and in the delivery of care, as appropriate.
• Demonstrates compliance with protocols and/or clinical pathways in all patient interventions.
• Provides nursing care and patient education to assigned routine patient, applying approved standards of care and policies and procedures.
• Demonstrates knowledge of principles of growth and development throughout the lifespan to competently provide care to pediatric, adult and geriatric patients.
• Utilizes patient education as a component of care and documents the outcome of this intervention.
• Utilizes effective time management to complete all assignments in a timely manner to ensure safety of patients.
• Performance reflects compliance and knowledge based on principles as described and demonstrated in annual competencies.
• Demonstrates competency in use of technical skills as required (i.e., IV therapy equipment utilization, universal precautions, body mechanics.
• Communicates with supervisor the following: change in patient status, inability to complete assignment, and/or priority setting.
• Communicates at level of understanding of patient, taking into consideration cultural, educational, and age criteria.
• Communicates ideas clearly; listens effectively; keeps others informed as necessary; chooses appropriate and timely communication methods; share information.
• Documents effectiveness of interventions, patient and/or care giver(s) education and discharge planning in a clear, concise and legible manner.
• Demonstrates ability to act calmly, decisively and timely in difficult/emergent situations.
• Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) monitoring to maintain or improve care of designated patient population.
• Cooperates with co-workers to maintain a productive and harmonious work environment
• Maintains confidentiality of department and CCC patient information. Interacts with patient/care givers, physicians and CCC team in a positive proactive manner.
• Communicates with both hospital department and community services professionally and appropriately.
• Patient, families, pharmacist, physicians, lab personnel, and other personnel and community in a positive proactive manner.
• Remaining current in all new technological and pharmacological developments.
• Knowledge of insurance regulations and restrictions as it relates to patient care.
DECISION MAKING RESPONSIBILTIES
• Evaluates and reports changes in patient status to Supervisor and /or Physician.
• Determines when to hold treatment, when to question orders, and when to implement orders.
• Complies with regulatory requirements (i.e. TJC) appropriate for position
• Current CA RN license (maintain current at all times)
• Current BLS (maintain current at all times)
• 2 years experience in med/surg nursing
• 1 year Oncology Nursing experience
• Competency in intravenous skills and vascular access device management.
• Basic e-mail, Word proficiency
• Teaching skills
• Sound ethics and communication skills
• Oncology Certified Nurse OCN desired.
Primary Location: CA-Palm Springs
Organization: Desert Regional Medical Center