Indian Health Service Medical Technologist, GS-0644-09 (Delegated Exam) in Parker, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Parker, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/7/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 10/27/2016 (7 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-17-PX-1795357-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Medical Technologist for the Laboratory Department at the Colorado River Service Unit in Parker, AZ, and reports to the Supervisory Medical Technologist on-site.
- Perform clinical laboratory tests and examinations per request by medical staff for use in clinical diagnosis, patient screening, monitoring patient therapy and status and other purposes.
- Withdraw sufficient quantities of blood by venipuncture or capillary technique as appropriate for the test(s) requested and the age and/or condition of the patient.
- Ensure proper labeling and integrity of samples received in the laboratory.
- Interpret and evaluate results of tests and examinations in process and upon completion in order to recognize anticipated reaction end departures from the norm.
- Not Required
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
In order to be considered, applicants must meet both of the following requirements listed below.
1. Basic Qualifications - All applicants must meet one of the following Basic Requirements for the GS-0644 series, Medical Technologist:
- Bachelor's degree, or higher graduate degree, with major study in medical technology, chemistry, or biology that included: 16 semester hours in biological science, 16 semester hours in chemistry, and 3 semester hours of college mathematics; OR
- A full 4-year course of study that included or was supplemented by at least 12 months in a college or hospital-based medical technology program or medical technology school approved by a recognized accrediting organization; OR
- A combination of 1) at least 35 semester hours of biological science, chemistry, and mathematics AND 2) additional appropriate education and/or experience totaling 4 years.
2. Additional Qualifications - In addition to one of the Basic Requirements listed above, all candidates must meet the additional specialized experience and/or graduate education for the GS-09 level:
- 1 year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the GS-7 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector serving as a Medical Technologist applying and modifying analytical methods and procedures in the performance of standardized tests and examinations of human tissue, body fluids and other substances in the clinical laboratory; OR
- A master's degree OR 2 full years of progressively high level graduate education leading to a master's degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, or equivalent course of study; OR
- A combination of graduate level education and specialized experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, October 27, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive may be authorized. A service agreement of 1 year will be required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- May work alternative work schedule to provide continuity of service.
- Must have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- May drive U.S. Government vehicle and must have a current, unrestricted driver's license.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free.
Salary Range: $51,385.00 to $64,228.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0644-09/09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452972700
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-PX-1821952-DE