Indian Health Service Supervisory Medical Officer (Administration) (Medical Director) GS-602-14/15 in Peach Springs, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Peach Springs, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 7/29/2016 (87 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Serves as the Medical Director for the Peach Springs & Service Unit located in Peach Springs AZ.
DIRECT HIRING AUTHORITY ANNOUCEMENT:
The following cut-off dates will be used to issue a certificate of eligibles: August 18, 2016; September 7, 2016; and every fifteen working days thereafter until the position has been filled. Please ensure applications are complete before the cut-off dates to receive full consideration.
This position is being filled through Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hiring Authority (DHA). The "Direct Hiring Authority" has been authorized by Homeland Security Act of 2002 and Part 337, Subpart B, Title 5 code of the Code of Federal Regulations (5 CFR). IF filled utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: All applicant(s) who meet the basic qualifications requirements will be forwarded to the "Selecting Official" for consideration. The rule of three, 1) Veteran(s) Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants, do not apply to the Direct Hire process. 2) Indian Preference does apply.
- Participate in the formulation of policies, programs, and procedures related to the delivery of clinical services
- Maintain systems for monitoring quality assessment, AAAHC accreditation, fiscal management, GPRA performance, Medicare, and IHS standards
- Analyze operational data, inform staff of key objectives, and provide qualified advice as a basis for program decisions
- Assist in setting priorities for services and patient care objectives
- Collaborates with department heads to foster and coordinate working relationships
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period
- Board Certification or Board Eligibile in Peds, FP or IM
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
1. Degree: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).
2. Graduate Training: Subsequent to obtaining a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree, a candidate must have had at least 1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., a 1-year internship or the first year of a residency program in an institution accredited for such training. (This 1 year of supervised experience may be waived for research or administrative positions not requiring direct patient care.) For purposes of this standard, graduate training programs include only those internship, residency, and fellowship programs that are approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the United States or Canada. Listings of accredited programs are published yearly in the Directory of Residency Training Programs and the Yearbook and Directory of Osteopathic Physicians. An internship program involves broadly based clinical practice in which physicians acquire experience in treating a variety of medical problems under supervision (e.g., internal medicine, surgery, general practice, obstetrics-gynecology, and pediatrics). Such programs are in hospitals or other institutions accredited for internship training by a recognized body of the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or AOA. A fellowship program involves advanced training (beyond residency training) in a given medical specialty in either a clinical or research setting in a hospital or other institution accredited in the United States for such training.
3. Licensure: For positions involving patient care, candidates must have a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks:
Specialized experience is defined as: providing consultation services to other physicians and medical care professionals; exercising full managerial responsibilities for planning, development, organization, integration, administration and evaluation of clinical services; and serving as a direct care medical officer
GS-14: One year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector.
GS-15: One year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-14 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector.
Specialized experience is defined as: providing consultation services to other physicians and medical care professionals; exercising full managerial responsibilities for planning, development, organization, integration, administration and evaluation of clinical services; and serving as a direct care medical officer in providing patient medical services. in providing patient medical services.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements above, applicants must have completed 3 years of graduate training or equivalent experience and training.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement..
Recruitment incentive may be authorized, a service agreement is required.
Government housing maybe available for this position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Works on a regularly assigned rotation to provide continuity of medical service 24/7 including weekends and holidays.
- Period of Eligibility: Applicants will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received. To remain in active status for positions announced under this open continuous announcement, ensure you keep you application information updated. Failure to keep information updated will result in "expired application" status and you will no longer be considered for future openings.
- No promotion potential
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free.
Salary Range: $110,000.00 to $230,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GP-0602-14/15
Promotion Potential: No
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 446238500
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-PX-1756856-DHA