Amtrak Engineer - 90118377 - Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The purpose of this position is to assist the Senior Engineer - Track Geometry and Roadbed and the Principal Engineer – Track Geometry and Roadbed in analyzing the condition of track geometry, track structure and track substructure on all Amtrak-owned or maintained rights-of-way; providing track alignment and curve modification designs for capital projects; collecting track subgrade and roadbed condition measurements; evaluating new technologies leading to improvements in track subgrade and roadbed management; and assisting in the development and implementation of the track geometry capital improvement programs
Provide track alignment and curve modification designs in support of capital improvement programs, and production work such as TLM, undercutting, and tamping solutions both for AGGS and TGCS long wave removal.
• Analyze track geometry data to provide indices of track quality and the rates of track geometry deterioration.
• Develop analytical methods to assist in the development of the track geometry, ballast, subgrade, and drainage capital improvement programs ($20M annually).
• Use vehicle/track dynamics software such as Vampire and/or NUCARS to determine the dynamic load environment and vehicle response to track geometry.
• Develop and use analytical methods to investigate the root cause of track geometry degradation and determine appropriate remedial actions.
• Develop and maintain Amtrak’s database of curve designs along all Amtrak-owned or maintained rights-of-way.
• Must become qualified in RWP, AMT2, M/W1000 and NORAC and maintain these qualifications
• Proficiency in the use of software related to engineering analysis and design
• Demonstrated skills using PC-based spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel, Access), Microsoft Word, MatLab and PowerPoint. Must be able to learn and use Road Doctor Analysis Software
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE :
Experience in railroad track maintenance and inspection
• Experience in railroad operations and procedures
• Experience in railroad passenger car maintenance and inspection
• Roadway Worker Protection qualification
• MW 1000 qualification
• NORAC qualification
• AMT2 qualification
Bachelor Science in Civil Engineering or the equivalent combination of education, training and/or railway engineering work experience.
MS in Engineering with Geotechnical focus
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : No
Requisition ID: 23662
Posting Location(s): Pennsylvania
Personnel Area: PA08
Job Family/Function: Engineering
Relocation Offered: No
Education Requirements: Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements: Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements: 3 - 5 years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering