Indian Health Service Dietitian GS-0630-09 (Term NTE 13 months) in Phoenix, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Phoenix, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Term NTE 13 months
Opened Thursday 9/29/2016 (21 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 10/20/2016 (0 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-PI-1814521-DE for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
Serve as a Dietitian for the Phoenix Indian Medical Center (PIMC) Nutrition Services department, located in Phoenix, AZ.
Who May Apply
- Merit Promotion (MP) - Current and former career-conditional or status employees
- Excepted Service (ESEP) - Indian Preference or Schedule A applicants
- Veterans Preference - Includes Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) applicants
Other Position Details
- Position is for 13 months; however, the position may be extended for up to four years
- Position covered by PL101-630, Indian Child Protection & Family Violence Prevention Act
- Bargaining Unit position
Serve as a Dietitian for PIMC -
- Provide medical nutrition therapy in outpatient, inpatient, and community settings
- Use critical thinking and analytical skills to assess needs and develop comprehensive and culturally appropriate nutrition care plans
- Educate individuals and groups on medical nutrition therapy for health and disease management
- Collaborate with other professions as an active member of an interdisciplinary health care team
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional overnight travel may be required
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
All applicants must meet the education and registration requirements listed below:
Education: Bachelors or higher graduate degree, in dietetics, food, nutrition, food service management, institution management, or a related science such as home economics
Registration: Current registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration of The American Dietetic Association per the IHS Licensure Policy requirement. You must submit a copy of your registration with your application.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GS-9 GRADE LEVEL:
Applicants who meet the Basic Requirements listed above, may qualify for the following grade level if they meet the educational and/or specialized experience requirements below.
GS-9: Applicants who meet the following requirements may qualify for positions at this grade level:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the GS-7 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector; OR a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree or two full years of progressively high level graduate education leading to a master's degree; OR a combination of graduate education and specialized experience
Qualifying specialized experience for the GS-9 grade is defined as: performing routine assignments such as providing general nutrition information to individuals, families, and groups. Other examples include assisting a senior-level Clinical Dietitian in preparing nutritional education plans, developing long-range plans and objectives, and providing technical advice on a variety of dietetic issues.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, October 20, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Selectee(s) may be required to travel and must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $50,154.00 to $65,196.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0630-09/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: See "Who May Apply" section
Control Number: 452094800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-PI-1770147-ESEP/MP