Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Outpatient Dietitian Supervisor (Clinical Nutrition Manager) - External in Phoenix, Arizona
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Phoenix, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 10/13/2016 (7 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (4 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1820745
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
"As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/". **VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Current, permanent Veterans Health Administration (VHA) employees should apply under XP-17-TJE-1820549-HT38. All applicants applying under this EXTERNAL announcement will be subject to Veteran's Preference.
This position is located within the Nutrition, Hospitality & Food Service (NH&FS;) at the Phoenix VA Health Care System in Phoenix, AZ. The Outpatient Dietitian Supervisor (Clinical Nutrition Manager) is accountable to the Chief of Clinical Nutrition and responsible for managing outpatient nutrition program including Patient Aligned Care Teams (PACT), Telenutrition, Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC), and Home Based Primary Care (HBPC). The person in the position is the nutritional consultant to the outpatient program, accountable for developing and implementing the nutrition components of the program and supervising nutrition staff in the program. Coordinates departmental activities with other services at the facility level and the local community to support the hospital mission. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assists in the establishment of organizational structure guidelines, performance standards, reporting requirements and assists in defining lines of authority and supervisory controls necessary and essential in carrying out the mission of the service;
- Coordinates and evaluates Service compliance to VHA regulations, Central Office directives, Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) guidelines, Medical Center policy, Union Master agreement, Service procedures and all accrediting and regulatory agencies;
- Coordinates the work assignments based on priorities, capabilities of the employee;
- Leads the scheduled outpatient nutrition staff meeting;
- Develops the clinic and weekend coverage schedule;
- Assists with the direction of a personnel management program for the service by delegating responsibility to subordinates and holding them responsible for the performance of their sections;
- Participates as a full member on interdisciplinary committees and on special projects and activities as assigned;
- Assumes full responsibility for the management in the absence of the Chief of Clinical Nutrition and/or Chief, NH&FS; in their absence;
- Assures that new information, technology, nutritional advancements are incorporated into daily practices and procedures which ensure continued improvement in services provided;
- Performs nutrition assessment utilizing the nutrition care process as established by Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics;
- Communicates findings/recommended interventions with the medical team and clinical nutrition department colleagues;
- Communicates pertinent information to health care professionals regarding individual patient nutritional care needs and assists in the development of patient/resident care plans;
- Provides continuing education to the clinical nutrition team, interdisciplinary team, medical students, residents and fellows; and,
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 7:30 am 4:00 pm.
Functional Statement Title: Outpatient Dietitian Supervisor
- 25% or Greater
- This position requires travel to the Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs).
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Full unrestricted Registration or Certification required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* Citizenship:* Citizen of the United States. (Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified candidates in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3g).
* Education and Supervised Practice*
The individual must have earned a bachelor's degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university or foreign equivalent and fulfilled each of the following criteria:
Completed a didactic program in dietetics accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), formerly known as the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetic Education (CADE).* AND*
Completed an ACEND accredited or approved supervised practice program. Supervised practice programs are post-baccalaureate degree programs that provide supervised practice experiences which meet the eligibility requirements and accreditation standards of ACEND, formally known as CADE. Completion of a coordinated program in dietetics fulfills the requirements of a supervised practice program. Time spent in a dietetic internship or supervised practice program does not qualify as creditable experience.
Individuals who have earned college and/or university degrees outside the United States and its territories also must have their transcripts evaluated by a foreign transcript evaluation service to determine if their degree is equivalent to a degree granted by a regionally accredited college or university in the United States. Validation of a foreign degree does not eliminate the need for verification of completion of didactic program, dietetic internship, or coordinated program requirements. The completion of ACEND didactic program requirements and at least a bachelor's degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college/university or foreign equivalent are necessary for eligibility to enter an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program.
NOTE: You must submit transcripts (unofficial or official) with your application. Education will not be credited without documentation.
Registration/Certification: All applicants must be registered with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) the credentialing branch of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics formerly known as the American Dietetic Association (ADA). NOTE: You must submit proof of registration or certification with your complete application package.
English Language Proficiency: In accordance with 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), No person shall serve in direct patient care positions unless they are proficient in basic written and spoken English. Dietitians must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Driver's license: Must hold a current and valid state-issued driver's license.
Preferred Qualifications: The certifications of Certified Diabetes Educator, Registered Health Coach and/or specialized in nutrition informatics is preferred.
In addition to the Basic Requirements above, to qualify for this position at the GS-12 level, you must meet the following requirements:
* Experience:* You must have at least one (1) full year of experience at a level comparable to dietetic experience at the next lower grade level (GS-11). To be creditable, the experience must have required the use of knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) associated with current professional dietetics practice. This may be evidenced by one or more of the following: (a) The equivalent of 1 year of active professional practice. Active professional practice means paid/non-paid employment as a registered dietitian. (b) Academic course work leading to an advanced graduate degree in nutrition or a related health care field. Experience is only creditable if it is post-registration experience as a registered dietitian directly related to the position to be filled, i.e., the clinical dietitian must have relevant clinical nutrition healthcare experience. NOTE: Experience must be fully documented on your resume and must include job title, duties, month and year start/end dates AND hours worked per week. A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience as a registered dietitian is credited according to its relationship to the full-time workweek. For example, a registered dietitian employed 20 hours per week, or on a half-time basis, would receive 1 full-time work week of credit for each 2 weeks of service. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.* AND*
In addition to the experience above, at the GS-12 level, you must fully demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) below and demonstrate the potential to acquire the assignment-specific KSAs designated by an asterisk (*):
- Ability to develop, maintain, and supervise a system of internal reviews and direct quality control and performance improvement studies to assure compliance with various accrediting, regulatory, and agency authorities.
- Knowledge of the principles of program management and oversight required to develop program goals and objectives, administer and monitor program, evaluate program outcomes/accomplishments, set and redefine priorities, and implement effective solutions in processes and/or systems as needed.
- Ability to act as a consultant for staff.
- *Ability to determine the continuing education needs of staff and appropriate resources to meet those needs.
- *Knowledge of human resource management principles and the ability to manage/supervise, i.e, plan, organize, delegate, direct, control, review activities of groups of subordinates.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of nutrition care and the treatment of complex cases in clinical settings in order to develop, implement, and coordinate best practices and supervise clinical nutrition staff.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social).Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
* References:* VA Handbook 5005/80, Part II, Appendix G20 Dietitian, dated September 5, 2014. http://vaww.va.gov/OHRM/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005.pdf
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: The work of this position requires Moderate Lifting, 15-44 pounds; Light carrying (under15 pounds). Use fingers; Walking (2 hours); Standing (2 hours). Mental and Emotional Stability required.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $72,733.00 to $94,552.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0630-12/12
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452821200
Job Announcement Number: XP-17-TJE-1820745-HT38