Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse (OCA)(IPC,ACN,OB/GYN) in Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
Many vacancies in the following locations:
- Pine Ridge, SD
- Wanblee, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 6/9/2016 (259 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 6/8/2017 (105 day(s) away)
About the Agency
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1728951-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Nursing Department, Pine Ridge and Wanblee, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the Director of Nursing.
- Assess the biophysical, psychosocial, emotional,educational, spiritual, cultural needs of patients on the unit.
- Develops a plan of care for individual patient utilizing nursing diagnosis.
- Formulates nursing interventions based on appropriately identified nursing diagnosis.
- Operates specialized equipment which may include cardiac monitors, ventilator, defibrillator, pulse oximeter, infusion pumps, warning/cooling devices, central lines, etc. Maintains proper equipment checks with units policies and procedures.
- Evaluates outcomes, reassess and revises the plan of nursing care. Consults with physicians and other health care professional on patients to obtain diagnostic and therapeutic assistance and coordinate needs.
- Participates in education, in-services, certification training(s) and other nursing policy and procedures.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation expenses MAY BE authorized and MAY BE PAID. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
EDUCATION: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience as a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-4 level.)
*REGISTRATION: *Applicants MUST HAVE active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
The following shows the amount of education and/or experience required to qualify these positions
GS-04:One (1) year of nursing experience as a military corpsman OR an Associates Degree (or completion of less than 30 months' duration)
GS-05:Completion of a program of less than 30 months' duration; OR, One (1) year of professional nursing (or at least a GS-04 grade level practical nurse or nursing assistant experience under the supervision of a professional nurse); OR, Bachelor's degree or four (4) academic years above high school (or completion of a program of at least 30 months duration).
GS-07:Completion of a professional nursing program; AND, One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level; OR, Bachelor's degree with 'superior academic achievement', OR, One (1) full year of graduate education.
GS-09: 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level OR a Master's (or equivalent) Degree or 2 full years of Graduate Education.
GS-10: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level.
EVALUATION OF EDUCATION: At the GS-5 level, successfully completed undergraduate course work in nursing; the behavioral, physical, or biological sciences related to nursing; nutrition; public health; and maternal and child health in excess of that required for completion of an associate degree may be substituted for professional nursing experience at the rate of one (1) academic year for nine (9) months of experience. Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
EVALUATION OF EXPERIENCE: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-9 grade level many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing. You must have duties such as: Develop and implement a plan of care for assigned patients based on the nursing process. Provide nursing interventions based on established plan of care and evaluate effectiveness. Set up and operate specialized equipment. Provide nursing leadership in maintaining the function of the in-patient unit. Provide patient care in other areas as assigned within documented competency levels. Documents nursing activities regarding direct patient care, quality improvement, infection control, assignments, etc.
*SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE DEFINED: *May require experience in a certain field of nursing depending on the position being filled; in this case Specialized Experience in the IPC, ACN, and OB/GYN department in the following; Experience with the nursing process including, principles, practices and procedures of nursing care required to assess and care for nursing needs of medical, surgical, pediatric and geriatric patients and other types of patients as assigned. Experience developing or participating in the developing of a plan of care to meet the needs of assigned patients. Experience planning and directing the work of others staff to provide quality nursing care to patients. Experience recognizing adverse signs and symptoms and to experience reacting swiftly in emergency situations. Experience working with pharmaceuticals, their desired effects, side effects and complications of their use. Experience assess patients of all ages and with a variety of medical or surgical problems. Experience working with and operating specialized medical equipment. Experience working with the principles and methods of continuous quality improvement measures and oversight. Experience insuring compliance with accrediting bodies.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, June 08, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Additional selections may be made on this vacancy.
- Government housing may be available - depending on availability for Acute Care and OB/GYN.
- Drug testing is not required.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
- Recruitment and relocation incentive maybe authorized.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $44,214.00 to $74,626.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-04/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: "ANY UNITED STATES CITIZEN"
Control Number: 447753400
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1778133-DH