Indian Health Service Supervisory Medical Officer (Psychiatry)(PR6301) in Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Pine Ridge, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 8/17/2016 (68 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Behavioral Health Department, Pine Ridge, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the Clinical Director.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Cut-off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles are received to fill other vacancies. 10 pt. Veterans' Preference ESEP applicants who submit a complete application after a Cut-off date but before the List of Eligibles is issued, will be considered and referred on the List, if qualified. 1st cut-off 09/14/16, 2nd cut-off 10/13/16, 3rd cut-off 11/10/16, 4th cut-off 12/12/16 and 5th cut-off 12/30/16.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicant who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
- Performs as a consultant in the provision of psychiatric diagnostics and treatment services (preventive, curative, and rehabilitative) to individuals, couples, families, and groups. Services are provided to a full range of patients normally found in general medical and psychiatric hospitals, health and mental health centers. Services are provided in a wide range of age-groups. Special problems include mental illness, physical illness, crisis and emergencies, victims of violence and sexual assaults, substance abuse, self-destructive behaviors, marital and family dysfunction, child and elderly victims of abuse and neglect, learning and vocational problems and socio-economic issues.
Provides leadership within the Service Unit in development of policies and procedures related to psychiatric services, including out-patient, emergency and crisis stabilization, and making appropriate referrals to in-patient facilities in the region. Executive Responsibilities-(50%)
Provides direct supervision of the Behavioral Health staff. The incumbent plans work to be accomplished by subordinates and prepares schedules for completion of work; assigns work to subordinates based on priorities and capabilities of employees; evaluates work performance of subordinates; advise or counsel employees on work and administrative matters; interview candidates for positions, recommend appointment, promotions, or reassignment to such positions; hear and resolve complaints from employees; effects minor disciplinary measures, such as warning and reprimands; identify training needs of employees; approves leave, etc.
- Plans, develops, implements, coordinates and evaluate the psychiatric services for the Pine Ridge Service Unit Behavioral Health Program.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation expenses MAY BE authorized and MAY BE PAID. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): A Degree as: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicants graduation. [A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed pre medical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).] In addition to the basic requirements, applicants must possess the following residency experience: At least three years of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting (i.e., three years of a residency program in an institution accredited for such training). Include only those internship, residency, and fellowship programs that are approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the United States or Canada. You must provide documentation of your residency. In addition to the basic requirements and residency experience, applicants must possess the following license: A current, non-temporary, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. In addition to the basic requirements, residency experience and license, applicants must possess the following specialized experience:
GS-15: From the descriptions below, select the response that best describes your experience which demonstrates your ability to perform the work of this position at the GS-15. Select only one response and do not leave blank.
Completed 5 years of residency training in a Psychiatric specialty or have equivalent Psychiatry experience and training. This may have included completing a child psychiatry fellowship, addictions fellowship, or current Board certification in Psychiatry. The physician at this level assumes responsibility for diagnosis, prevention, therapy, maintenance, and rehabilitation of patients in the capacity of a senior specialist or expert. I possess a current, valid Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration to prescribe controlled substances or a DEA waiver to treat opiod dependent patients (with buprinoriphine treatment, for example).
Specialized Experience GS-15: Specialized Experience is defined as serving as a physician, providing administrative management and supervision of physician's who provide direct patient care in a hospital or clinical environment.
(You must provide clear documentation in your application of how you meet this qualification requirement, including any necessary transcripts, certificates, licenses, diplomas, etc.). Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click onhttp://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html. MANAGERIAL ABILITIES: This is a managerial position and candidates, in addition to the professional qualifications listed, must have demonstrated in their work experience or training, that they possess, or have potential to develop, the qualities of successful supervision, as required for this position. Your education and work experience may be combined to meet the qualification requirements of this position.
Time-In-Grade Requirements:Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Government housing may be available - depending on availability.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
- Drug testing is not required.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
- Recruitment and relocation incentive maybe authorized.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $115,000.00 to $250,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0602-15/15
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 447946900
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-GP-1766746-ESEP/MP