Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse - Care Coordinator (Eye Clinic) in Portland, Oregon
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Portland, OR
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 10/12/2016 (14 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 10/26/2016 (0 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1823989
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
The incumbent serves as a clinic patient advocate by answering patient inquiries and resolving patient concerns at a local level. He/she acts as patient advocate to assure appropriateness and quality...acts as a patient guide and advocate, assisting the patient in seeking information, assuring that the patient has the opportunity for informed consent for treatment decisions, and promoting our core I CARE values: to act with Integrity and Commitment, to Advocate for Veterans, to show Respect to all, and to pursue Excellence.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The RN - Care Coordinator is assigned to the Surgical Service of the Operative Care Division of the VA Portland Health Care System located in Portland, Oregon. The RN Care Coordinator manages the activities of an identified subspecilalty patient population to provide quality, coordinated care while controlling costs and improving efficiency of clinical systems. In addition, coordinates patient driven care and services across the continuum of care in collaboration with the interdisciplinary health care team.
Specific functions are, but not limited to:
- Manages the functions of surgical providers, staff, residents and students needed to provide clinical care;
- Manages Operating Room scheduling and clinic matrix;
- Identifies system problems and leads/participates on improvement teams to resolve problems and to facilitate change and evaluate improvement outcomes;
- Uses care coordination strategies for an identified group of patients;
- Guides surgical subspecialty to accomplish VA Portland Health Care System/VISN goals for continuity of care, cost efficiency, quality utilization;
- Provides oversight for proper utilization of bed days of care (BDOC) and appropriate levels of care;
- Reviews aggregate data (i.e. DSS, utilization patterns, variances, QM, etc..) and reports findings to team/division on progress toward goals;
- Provides staff education to reinforce current processes and/or implement new processes;
- Monitors Operating Room efficiency including cancellation rates, utilization of OR time and communication among interdisciplinary team members;
- Provides patient/family education and/or oversight of patient education processes to assure that patients and families have the knowledge and skills they need for continuing care;
- Participates in team round utilizing care coordinating strategies, recommending alternative resources and advocating for the patient and family; and
- Communicates and interacts with the health care team in planning and providing patient driven care across all levels and care settings.
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (May vary depending on the needs of the service). Functional Statement Title/#:* *Surgical Service - RN Care Coordinator
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience: The ideal candidate will have 5 years of RN experience with Care Coordinator experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
*Grade Determinations: *Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research. Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Nursing education must be accredited by The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). You can verify your education accreditation at the following links:
American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation/accredited-programs
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing: http://www.acenursing.us/accreditedprograms/programSearch.htm
NOTE: If you do not find your education listed on either website you can initiate an inquiry online to receive written verification of accreditation of your degree: http://www.acenursing.org/contact-us/
Physical Requirements: Lifting/carrying - 45 lbs or more, Standing, Sitting, Walking, Kneeling, Bending/Stooping, Twisting, Pushing/pulling. Use of fingers, both hands required. Reaching above shoulders. Near vision correctable at 13-16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, Far vision correction in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other eye, ability to distinguish basic colors, ability to distinguish shades of colors. Hearing whispered voice (with or without aid). Emotional/mental stability.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating.
We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $59,806.00 to $100,552.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453195900
Job Announcement Number: VS-16-MDG-1823989-BU