Indian Health Service Supervisory Medical Officer (Clinical Director) in Rapid City, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Rapid City, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Monday 6/6/2016 (140 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hire Authority procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-R2-GP-1722781-DHA; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered or Direct Hire.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Northern Plains Regional Great Plains Area, PHS Indian Health Hospital, Rapid City, SD, Clinical Services Department. This position reports to the CEO.
The purpose of this position are the provision of comprehensive clinical medical care at a primary level in a hospital setting, the supervision of the Medical Staff, and the representation of the Medical Staff in the Governing Bodies of the Service Unit.
Exceptional recruiting difficulty may result in payment of a recruitment or relocation incentive/bonus.
- Assists in the planning of continuing education, on-the-job training and orientation of IHS and tribal staff as requested.
- Examines and diagnoses the health related conditions of individuals requesting care, refers individuals for consultation when appropriate.
- Enforces the By-Laws, Rules and Regulations of the Medical Staff of the Rapid City Service Unit, supervises the clinical practice of the Medical Staff.
- Represents the Medical Staff of the Rapid City Service unit on the Service Unit and Area Governing Body and participates in the planning, budgeting and evaluation of the health service programs,
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- A current, valid, unrestricted professional license must be maintained.
- Position subject to Level V Background clearance including credit check.
- ### Qualifications
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
1. Basic Requirement - Education:
Degree: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. [A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).]
2. Basic Requirement Graduate Training:
Subsequent to obtaining a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree, a candidate must have had at least 1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., a 1-year internship or the first year of a residency program in an institution accredited for such training. (This 1 year of supervised experience may be waived for research or administrative positions not requiring direct patient care.) For purposes of this standard, graduate training programs include only those internship, residency, and fellowship programs that are approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the United States or Canada. Listings of accredited programs are published yearly in the Directory of Residency Training Programs and the Yearbook and Directory of Osteopathic Physicians. An internship program involves broadly based clinical practice in which physicians acquire experience in treating a variety of medical problems under supervision (e.g., internal medicine, surgery, general practice, obstetrics-gynecology, and pediatrics). Such programs are in hospitals or other institutions accredited for internship training by a recognized body of the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or AOA. A fellowship program involves advanced training (beyond residency training) in a given medical specialty in either a clinical or research setting in a hospital or other institution accredited in the United States for such training.
3. Basic Requirement Licensure:
Candidates must have a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
4. Basic Requirement - Specialized Experience:
GS-15: At least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service or 5 years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or a combination of equivalent experience and training.
Specialized Experience is defined as serving as a physician and providing administrative management and/or supervision of physicians who provide direct patient care in a hospital or clinical environment.
(You must provide clear documentation in your application of how you meet this qualification requirement, including any necessary transcripts, certificates, licenses, diplomas, etc.).
Managerial Abilities: This is a managerial position and candidates, in addition to the professional qualifications listed, must have demonstrated in their work experience or training, that they possess, or have potential to develop, the qualities of successful supervision, as required for this position.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: MPP candidates must have completed at least one year of service at the GS-14 for the GS-15. Time-in-grade provisions do not apply under ESEP and Direct Hire.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process. If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is NOT covered by a Bargaining Unit.
This is an Open Until Filled Job Opportunity Announcement. Bi-weekly cut-off dates will be used to issue a certificate of
eligible applicants commencing on 06/20/2016 and bi-weekly thereafter until the position has been filled. Please ensure applications are complete before the cut-off dates to receive full consideration.
Period of Eligibility: Applicants will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received. To remain
in active status for positions announced under this open continuous announcement, ensure you keep you application information updated. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Government housing is not available.
- Position may be subject to alternate work schedule, rotating shifts, call back and nights/weekends/holidays schedule.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
- No promotion potential.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
- This position has a positive education requirement. A copy of transcripts is required during the application process. Official transcripts will be required after the selection and before the Enter on Duty date if you are selected.
- A current, valid, unrestricted license/registration must be maintained.
- Period of Eligibility: Applicants will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received. To remain in active status for positions announced under this open continuous announcement, ensure you keep you application information updated.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $120,000.00 to $255,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0602-15/15
Promotion Potential: 15
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 441091100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R2-GP-1576350-ESEP/MP