Indian Health Service NURSE/CLINICAL NURSE (Amb) DH in Red Mesa, Arizona
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following locations:
- Red Mesa, AZ
- Bloomfield, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 1/27/2016 (267 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (72 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under ESEP/MP hiring procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-NN-1601677-ESEP/MP for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located in the Ambulatory Care Clinic, Four Corners Regional Health Center, Red Mesa, Arizona and Dzilth-Na-O-Dith-Hle Health Center, Bloomfield, New Mexico. The registered nurse performs a variety of professional nursing care procedures and treatment for outpatient, specialty clinics and urgent care. The registered nurse assesses outpatients of all ages, initiates treatment, administers therapeutic measures and collaborates with the multi-disciplinary team. This position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse, Ambulatory Care Clinic.
- Provide professional nursing care to patients presenting in the Ambulatory Care Clinic.
- Initiate treatment, medication and stabilize the patient for transport.
- Record observations, nursing interventions, therapeutic measures and other relevant patient care data.
- Provide nursing services to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual and socio-cultural needs of the urgent and critically ill patients and family.
- Operate specialized equipment.
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one-year service agreement, failure to fulfill the one-year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- * * ### Qualifications
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
*BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): *Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below:
GS-04: Completion of a program of less than 30 months' duration or associate degree OR 1 year of nursing experience as military corpsman.
GS-05: Completion of a program of less than 30 months' duration or associate degree AND 1 year of professional nursing experience, or at least GS-04 level practical nurse or nursing assistant experience under the supervision of a professional nurse OR completion of a program of at least 30 months' duration or 4 academic years above high school or bachelor's degree.
GS-07: Completion of a professional nursing program AND 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 level OR 1 full year of graduate education or bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
GS-09: 2 full years or progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree OR 1 year of experience equivalent to at least GS-07 level.
GS-10: Completion of a professional nursing program AND 1 year experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level.
Experience per grade level:
GS-04: Experience gained as a military corpsman or a new graduate of an associate degree RN program.
GS-05: Experience communicating with and providing nursing services to patients.
GS-07: Experience implementing established protocols and standing orders for handling patients. Experience providing care to patients whose conditions are characterized by extremely complete health care needs.
GS-09: Experience recognizing life-threatening emergencies and initiating immediate care until assistance is obtained. Experience in the techniques and the operational mechanics of medical equipment. Experience with accurately transcribing physician's orders, performing health assessments and accurately documenting in patient's medical record. Experience with pharmacology of a wide variety of drugs, routes of administration, therapeutic action, drug interactions, and adverse reactions.
GS-10: Experience in professional nursing concepts, principles, practices and nursing standards as related to medical, surgical, obstetrics, ambulatory, emergency and intensive care nursing. Experience in the recognition of life-threatening emergencies and in initiating immediate care until assistance is obtained. Experience in nursing theories and practices needed to plan and provide care to patients whose conditions are characterized by extremely complex health needs. Experience using critical thinking skills and establishing priorities of care when dealing with multiple patients having varying degrees of care requirements.
Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized.
- Relocation Incentive may be authorized.
- Appointment Above the Minimum may be authorized.
- Government housing is available.
- Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service, National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Human Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency high priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS: http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment
For NHSC: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment
For HRSA Nurse Corps: http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
- Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to the GS-10 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in the Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized Child Care position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
- The selected individual is required to maintain nursing licensure requirements. If nursing licensure is not maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
IHS - Operated Properties Are Tobacco-Free
Salary Range: $43,785.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-04/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 427829600
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1601681-DH