Indian Health Service Social Worker - ESEP/MP in Red Mesa, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Red Mesa, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 10/5/2016 (20 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 10/26/2016 (1 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. This position is located in the Social Work Services Branch, Four Corners Regional Health Center, Red Mesa, AZ. The purpose of the position is to provide direct professional social work services to individuals, groups, and families who utilize the outpatient medical services. Reports directly to Supervisor Social Worker.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Exercise professional use of variety of casework skills in developing comprehensive psychosocial assessments that examine the current situation.
- Performs case management functions including information and referral services and linkages to appropriate hospital resources and community based organizations.
- Collaboratively formulates appropriate and realistic discharge plans working with other members of the health care team and available community based organizations.
- Participates in CQI and Joint Commission activities including policy implementation and revisions.
- In some instances, will serve as Acting Supervisory Social Worker to provide clinical supervision as well as overall program management.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel for meetings and trainings.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Degree: Social Work. Must fulfill all of the requirements for the master's degree in social work in a school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Master's degree with practicum; Applicants who complete all the requirements for a master's degree in social work that included a practicum are eligible for GS-9.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements:
GS-09: 2 years of progressive higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree OR 1 year specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-7.
GS-11: 3 years of progressive higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR 1 year specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-9.
Specialized Experience: Professional knowledge of the principles and practices of Social Work and a minimum knowledge of medical terminology, diagnosis and their implication for daily functioning; knowledge of social work theory, ability to identify problems in order of urgency and initiating treatment plans, problem solving ability and ability to handle conflict.
Selective Placement Factor:
Licensure: Social Worker must possess and maintain a current State license or certification.
Applicant must be able to interpret the English Language to Navajo and vice-versa.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service, National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency high priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS: http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment For NHSC: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment For HRSA Nurse Corps: http://hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to the GS-10 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commission Corps. PHS Commission Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commission Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.uphs.gov/ Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facility.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
IHS - Operated Properties are Tobacco-Free
Salary Range: $48,968.00 to $77,019.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0185-09/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/vRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP, Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 452590100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1812622-ESEP/MP