Microsoft Corporation Director of Audience Evangelism in Redmond, Washington
“Developers are kingmakers in every industry – today’s competitive battles are won and lost by attracting developers” – Visionmobile
The DX Developer Evangelism team charter centers on engaging with forward-looking developers across the technology ecosystem to enable and inspire hundreds of early platform adoption wins each year that showcase developers creating innovative solutions around the world using emerging Microsoft technologies. We seek a talented developer-enthusiast with a background and passion for evangelizing developer stories in modern ways that showcase both the “what” (outline what problem was solved, told through the voice/language of the developer) and the “how” (creatively share supporting technical evidence such as reference architectures, code snippets, hosted sample code on places like github, etc.) to capture the attention of targeted developers and inspire them to build with Microsoft technologies.
Reflecting on the philosophical question, “If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, did it make a sound?” -- DX will deliver 100s of inspiring early technology adoption wins with developers around the globe each year, but unless we land those technical stories to influence developers in modern, compelling ways, they won’t deliver the full impact desired. We seek a motivated, dynamic leader to build out a new team and discipline for harvesting and amplifying these 100s of global developer wins coming from DX technical engagements around the world.
This role will be responsible for establishing a new team within the DX Developer Evangelism organization, tasked with shaping an end-to-end evidence lifecycle and discipline that will creatively and strategically land evidence designed to influence developers via relevant modern form factors, with strong technical integrity, at optimal points in time. You will help define a programmatic ingestion process for identifying, cataloguing and curating compelling developer wins coming from DX worldwide technical engagements. Your team will also be responsible for driving the production of compelling technical content assets that showcase lighthouse/canonical examples of innovation with Microsoft technologies that drive key market perceptions, establish technical credibility and drive early adoption momentum in the developer ecosystem.
We are seeking someone who is passionate about the developer ecosystem with a track record and experience in planning, shaping and producing technical communications, content and evidence with and through developer communities and influencers. We need someone who is also determined and committed to establishing, influencing and maintaining strong and collaborative relationships with key internal business partners/stakeholders across the company, including the Product Teams (engineering and marketing stakeholders), global PR/AR Teams, executive communications teams, events teams, developer community and influencer teams (e.g., MVPs and RDs) – while working closely with and through the global DX field organization.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills, including the keen ability to credibly convey technology and coding topics with developers, translating complex technical ideas into various mediums. This will include communicating with developers about the benefits and opportunities of emerging new MS technologies. In this leadership role, you will need to understand the technical dialogues, motivations and perspectives of targeted developer communities and influencers in order to help them understand and believe in the benefits of using Microsoft technologies to develop their own developer projects.
Preferred Skills and Experiences
• Track record for building and landing developer-minded technical content, stories and testimonials through various mediums.
• Track record for building and leading high-performing, healthy teams.
• An understanding of the Developer audience – you have strong intuitions about what resonates with them that is shaped by your experiences working on programs to drive Developer adoption of technologies.
• Strong background running global programs and working with cross-geography teams and roles.
• Experience in the technical evangelism, persuasive technical communications discipline.
• Ability to deeply assess the competition and drive perception-shifting efforts that differentiate Microsoft in credible, compelling ways.
• Serve as a trusted advisor and consultant to the DX leadership team on developer communications, perception-shifting and evidence strategy development.
• Lead and drive complex projects with multiple work streams spanning different businesses and disciplines.
• Self-motivated, directed person with organizational agility and transformational leadership qualities.
• Highly skilled in presenting insights in a concise, effective manner to a variety of audiences, including GM and CVP levels on a regular basis.
• Must have a minimum of 7 years in the technology marketing space with a proven track record for business leadership and cross-teaming.
• A Bachelor’s Degree is required, MBA preferred.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.