Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Lead OpenStack Operations Engineer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 305924
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: Research Computing
Come and work for a billion dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’ (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself and make a difference. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation’s energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a cleaner and safer place.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is searching for a Lead OpenStack Operations Engineer to lead the design and development of private and hybrid cloud computing environments to meet unique basic research needs, programmatic objectives and milestones. As the Lead OpenStack Operations Engineer, you will be equal parts systems administrator and solutions architect, working in partnership with Institutional Computing, laboratory management, researchers and external stakeholders. You will support laboratory mission needs - ready to do whatever it takes to scale and deploy our infrastructure to enable world-class research. While primarily focused on OpenStack and CentOS Linux, you will also need to be versed in public cloud capabilities from Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure.
You like solving complex business problems and finding innovative solutions. You love keeping abreast of the latest industry trends and using them to help you innovate. You have strong leadership qualities, great judgment, clear communication skills and a track record of delivering great solutions.
You embrace new ideas, maintain positive attitude even in challenging situations, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity.
You @ PNNL
Preferred qualifications would include:
- Exceptional communicator with both technical and nontechnical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate effectively in cross-functional teams
- Managing client incidents and customer issues until resolution
- Researching, selecting and implementing state-of-the-art virtualization, networking and storage solutions
- Experience with Agile Methodologies & continuous integration approaches
- Experience administering OpenStack (certifications a plus)
- Experience administering CentOS/RHEL (certifications a plus)
- Experience coding and debugging in Python
- Experience with OpenStack HA configurations
- Experience with Linux HA configurations
- Experience configuring management/automation frameworks
- Experience federating OpenStack with public cloud service providers, including AWS and Azure
Success in this role means delivering results through strong technical skill, communications, and collaboration with a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is walking into PNNL every day with a belief that you can positively impact on the research and development efforts at a national laboratory. You know that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 8 years' experience or MS degree and 6 years' experience.
- Experience managing complex and high risk projects.
- Experience building highly effective teams across organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field of study and 10 years of experience, or a Master’s degree and 8 years of experience
- Experience leading major projects with Laboratory-level impact.
- Sought after to lead Laboratory teams that influence operations and strategies
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: HPC and Cloud Services
Opening Date: 2016-10-18
Closing Date: 2016-12-17