Washington State Web Content Specialist (Communications Consultant 3) (In-Training) in Richland, Washington
Keeping Washington Clean and Evergreen
Every day at Ecology, we work to protect Washington State's environment for current and future generations. We're invested in making a difference. It's part of our culture. If you want to join a highly effective, collaborative team with leadership that embraces the value of people and believes in the fun factor, Ecology would be a perfect fit.
The Nuclear Waste Program (NWP) is currently looking to fill a Web Content Specialist (Communications Consultant 3) (In-Training) position. This position will be located in our office in Richland, WA.
This position gives you the opportunity to join a dynamic communications team that is informing and educating the public on nuclear waste cleanup at the Hanford Site in south-central Washington.
This position works closely with technical staff and our education/outreach team to manage content on the NWP website. This position helps the team to prioritize web content, responds to public interest in Hanford projects and looks to find creative ways to share information via the web.
We seek an individual who is eager to join an ongoing effort to revamp the Department of Ecology's website, with an opportunity to play a pivotal role in reimagining the Nuclear Waste Program's section of that website. The successful applicant will be able to quickly learn a content management system while writing, editing and monitoring web content and keeping the website current. Experience writing for the web and for social media preferred. This person also will use strong organizational skills to help manage our program's public responsibilities to encourage public comment on permit proposals that affect the Hanford nuclear reservation.
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability. Maybe you've seen some of our recent stories on Twitter,Facebook, Instagram or our blog.
To learn more about our agency, please visit our website at www.ecy.wa.gov.
Local efforts... Diverse people... Statewide impacts
The Nuclear Waste Program's mission is to oversee the effective and efficient cleanup of the U.S. Department of Energy's Hanford Site, ensure sound management of mixed hazardous wastes in Washington, and protect the state's air, water and land at and adjacent to Hanford.
Some of the key work activities of the Web Content Specialist position at the Communications Consultant 3 Level are:
- Leads the development of general and project-specific content for the NWP website.
- Writes, reviews, edits, develops, coordinates and maintains user-centered web content using content management programs like TeamSite.
- Plans, organizes, schedules and carries out web communication strategies for program activities.
- Uses analytics tools such as Crazy Egg to help prioritize web content updates.
- Makes decisions and resolves complex issues about web content, design and organization working closely with staff and managers.
- Sets and maintains website update schedules.
- Develops graphics that illustrate information, processes, timelines, etc. for use on the program's website and social media.
- Ensures program and agency web standards are met.
- Stays current and informed on information technology methods, standards, publications processes (protocols and policies), and tools, such as HTML.
- Participates on web usability and redesign teams, and video team, as needed.
- Serves as the publications coordinator to manage templates and oversee the web and publications review process to ensure quality and consistency for all published regulatory products (focus sheets, listserv notices, comment response documents, etc.).
- Supports the NWP with regulatory and permitting activities by developing and implementing legally required public involvement activities, including holding comment periods, issuing notices, creating advertising and announcements, holding public meetings and hearings, and other related activities.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. The initial screening will be on October 31, 2016*. In order to be considered for the initial screening, please submit an application on or before October 30, 2016. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date*.
To broaden the candidate pool, we will consider candidates that qualify at the Communications Consultant 2 and 3 levels. Please read the qualifications section below to learn more about this exciting career growth and in-training opportunity.
The goal class for this position is a Communications Consultant 3 (CC3). We will consider applicants who meet the requirements for the Communications 2 and 3 levels. If the finalist meets the requirements for the (CC2) level then they will be hired in at that level and will be placed into a training program to become a (CC3) within a specified period of time.
At the Communications Consultant 3 Level: Pay Range 51 ($3627 - $4762) Monthly
A Bachelor's degree in: English, communications, journalism, humanities, public relations, or related field AND three (3) years of experience in writing/editing of which two (2) years must include:
- Writing/editing experience.
- Developing web content strategy, writing/editing and managing web content.
- Using project management tools to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Working effectively both as part of a team and independently.
- Proficient use of HTML and content management systems.
At the Communications Consultant 2 Level: Pay Range 47 ($3287 - $4313) Monthly
A Bachelor's degree in: English, communications, journalism, humanities, public relations, or related field with one (1) year of experience in writing/editing.
At the Communication Consultant 3 Level:
- Experience with TeamSite (or similar content management system), InDesign (or similar graphic production software).
- Experience with video recording and editing.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, SharePoint, and Adobe products, such as Photoshop, Acrobat Pro and InDesign.
At the Communication Consultant 2 Level:
- Professional level experience with Microsoft Office Suite and other related applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Access, SharePoint, Adobe).
- Possess the verbal and written communication skills necessary to work with non-technical customers and technical staff.
Special Requirements / Conditions of Employment:
- Must pass a U.S. Department of Energy test and acquire a badge for access to the Hanford site.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver's license.
Please include the following documents as an attachment to your application:
- A cover letter describing how your experience, skills and abilities meet the required qualifications of this position.
- A resume outlining your professional experience.
- Two (2) writing samples.
Please complete the applicant profile when applying for this position. Or, you may paste the text of your resume within the profile's resume text field.
Please read the supplemental questions carefully and answer completely. Incomplete responses, including "please see resume," may disqualify you from further consideration.
Department of Ecology employees, please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources at (360) 407-6186.
If you are reading this announcement in print format, please visit www.careers.wa.gov to access the online recruitment system. Click on "Look for Jobs" and select Dept. of Ecology under the "Department" search list. Click "Apply Search."
If you need assistance applying for this job, please call Human Resources at (360) 407-6186 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not call this number or send an email to this address to follow-up the status of your application. You can view the latest status of your application on your profile's main page.
If you have specific questions about the position, please email Randy Bradbury at: email@example.com. Please do not contact Randy to inquire about the status of your application.
The act of submitting application materials electronically is considered affirmation that the information is complete and truthful. The state may verify this information and any untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if employed.
This position is included in the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) union bargaining unit for the Department of Ecology. All employees covered by the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) with the WFSE will, as a condition of employment, either become members of the WFSE and pay membership dues or, as non-members, pay a representation fee as described in the CBA, no later than the 30th day following the effective date of this CBA or the beginning of their employment.
The Washington State Department of Ecology is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 407-6186. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-NWP2055-10445
Department: Dept. of Ecology
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $43,524.00 - $57,144.00 Annually
Location: Benton County – Richland, WA