City of Richmond - Utilities Director of Procurement Services in Richmond, Virginia
_**This position is Executive/Unclassified and serves at the will of the Appointing Authority.
City residency must be established within 12 months of appointment. This position will remain open until filled.**_
The purpose of the class is to direct the daily operations of the City's centralized procurement office activities and to assess and monitor all decentralized procurement activities. The position serves as the principal public purchasing official for the City and is responsible for the procurement of goods, services, insurance and construction, as well as the management and disposal of surplus supplies and equipment. The position works within broad policy and organizational guidelines, independently plans and implements projects; reports progress of major activities through periodic conferences and meetings. This position typically reports to a Deputy Chief Administrative Officer.
Example of Duties:
The City ofRichmond seeking to fill the position of Director of Procurement Services to manage the administration, operations, policy development and strategic planning of the department.
**Duties include but are not limited to:__
- Developing, interpreting and ensuring all procurement policies and procedures adhered to;
- Supervising the purchasing of all goods, services, insurance and construction required by the City;
- Supervising the transfer, sale, trade or disposal of surplus goods belonging to the City;
- Directing, planning, organizing and coordinating the activities for all personnel within area of responsibility;
- Establishing and negotiating cooperative purchasing agreements with other governmental agencies;
- Negotiating complex contracts dealing with City procurement and mediates contractual disputes;
- Preparing long-range objectives toward program development and execution;
- Developing and recommending budget, staffing, and organization requirements;
- Interacting with internal and external (vendors) customers to provide assistance and ensuring the integrity of the procurement process;
- Partnering with MBD Office and the minority vendor community to establish minority participation on City contracts;
- Monitoring and responding to legislation concerning procurement issues;
- Establishing and maintaining programs for specification development and contract administration;
- Preparing regular reports on procurement activity for the Mayor, Chief Administrative Officer, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer and City Council in addition to preparing and presenting special reports as required;
- Planning and conducting training for staff and City departments;
- Leading and/or attending staff meetings and conferences, professional meetings, and other events;
- Partnering and cooperating with surrounding localities on procurement activities.
Qualifications, Special Certifications and Licenses:
Requires a Bachelor's degree or education and training equivalent to four years of college education in business administration, public administration, liberal arts, procurement or purchasing supply chain management or any related field.
Requires ten years of purchasing experience with five in an administrative or senior level capacity.
An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification.
Professional purchasing certification andactive participation in a professional related organization is desired.
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications, the *preferred* candidate will:
- Posses procurement or purchasing certifications(ex. VCO);
- Be experienced in using"eProcurement" technology and processes in an Oracle environment;
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and integrity;
- Have an excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively present, speak and explain complex materials and ideas to a diverse audience at different organizational levels;
- Have demonstrated ability in setting priorities and strategicallyplan to meet goals and targets;
- Have demonstrated ability to manage and lead large scale projects and cross-functional teams;
- Have demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across the organization while providing guidance and excellent customer service to internal and external customers;
- Cultivate an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust;
- Be committed to recruiting, building and maintaining a diverse professional workforce committed to providing quality customer services.
Americans with Disabilities Act Requirements:
**PHYSICAL AND DEXTERITY REQUIREMENTS:__ Physical and dexterity refers to the requirement for physical exertion and coordination of limb and body movement.
Requires sedentary work that involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time; requires little or no dexterity. From time to time, may involve lifting, bending, or carrying of documents weighing five to ten pounds.
_ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS:_ Environmental hazards refer to the job conditions that may lead to injury or health hazards even though precautions have been taken.
The job risks exposure to minimal environmental hazards.
**SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:__ Sensory ability refers to hearing, sight, touch, taste, and smell required by the job.
The job requires normal visual acuity, field of vision, hearing and speaking.
The City of Richmond, Virginia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Job Title: Director of Procurement Services
Closing Date/Time: Sun. 08/06/17 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $92,602.00 - $146,128.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: City Hall, 900 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia