Indian Health Service Assistant Director of Human Resources in Rockville, Maryland
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Rockville, MD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (6 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/31/2016 (8 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. This position serves as the Deputy Director of the Office of Human Resources (OHR) for the Indian Health Service (IHS). The incumbent reports to the Director, OHR, and participates with the Director in providing strategic guidance and leadership for all aspects of the IHS human resources (HR) function, serving as the human capital management and personnel management focal point in implementing all applicable laws, regulations, guidance, policy, etc. The incumbent participates with the Director, OHR, in providing leadership and direction to five subordinate divisions within OHR, and in providing technical oversight and guidance to five Regional HR offices that provide operational support to the IHS Area offices and service units. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Serves as a senior authoritative source with IHS for all matters related to the Agency's human capital programs, to include the Agency's health professions recruitment and retention programs. Identifies and provides advice on potential Federal and Departmental initiatives and human capital risks and vulnerabilities that could affect Agency human capital programs operations, and aligns organizational expertise, staffing, and resources to effectively respond to new or anticipated requirements.
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, and directing a comprehensive program of personnel management and attracting, cultivating and retaining a high-performing, diverse workforce Agency-wide. Develops and administers a comprehensive Agency human capital strategic plan and organizational objectives. Interfaces both internally and externally to ensure that the corporate effort will support achievement of Agency goals and objectives; programs, policies, and processes are linked to Agency mission needs; and efforts are integrated with other organizational processes and systems.
- Participates with the Director, OHR in providing proactive, customer-responsive leadership that is consistent with IHS vision and values, effectively communicating program issues to external audiences. Ensures financial and managerial accountability by acting with prudence when executing fiduciary responsibilities.
- Exercises leadership to ensure that all programs under his/her direction reflect the principles of workforce diversity in their management and operations in such areas as recruitment and staffing, employee development, staff assignments, and communications.
- Occasional Travel
- 1-2 trips quarterly
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a supervisory probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
OPM Qualification Standard: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0200/human-resources-management-series-0201/
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
experience in managing a multifaceted human resources (HR) program as a supervisor; technical knowledge and experience managing the full complement of core human capital programs, policies and services, such as, staffing and placement; position classification; employee benefits and payroll; personnel security, HR data management and reporting; workforce and leadership development, employee and labor relations, and strategic recruitment; experience formulating and implementing agency-wide HR policies and procedures; experience and ability in communicating orally and in writing on highly sensitive, complex issues to internal and external officials; experience serving as a consultant/advisor to senior level management officials.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Monday, October 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $128,082.00 to $160,300.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0201-15/15
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority; All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) eligible; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible; Schedule A; and/or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 453542800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-HQ-1826638-ESEP/MP