Indian Health Service Supervisory Optometrist (Chief) in Rosebud, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Rosebud, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 9/8/2016 (166 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 3/31/2017 (38 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Clinical Services, Optometry Department,* Rosebud, South Dakota. *Position reports to the Clinical Director.
This is an Open Until Filled Job Opportunity Announcement. Certificates will be issued on a bi-weekly basis beginning on 09/23/2016. Please ensure applications are complete before the cut-off dates to receive full consideration.
Period of Eligibility: Applicants will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received. To remain in active status for positions announced under this open until filled announcement, ensure you keep you application information updated. Failure to keep information updated will result in "expired application" status and you will no longer be considered for future openings.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-R1-GP-1674182-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered separately for each announcement.
- Supervises subordinates including other Optometrists and/or Optometry Technicians. Assigns work, rates performance, interviews candidates, recommends selections, resolves complaints and grievances. Recommends promotions, training and ensures staff coverage for department.
- Develops and monitors the facility eye care budget. Makes recommendations for allocation of resources including positions and dollars to the Chief Executive Director and the Area Optometry Program.
- Provides direct care to patients in a responsible, respectful and caring manner. Refers patients requiring complex medical surgery or services to the appropriate medical specialty; refers patients to the appropriate health professional upon the diagnosis of disease.
- Provides vision and eye care education and counseling to patients using appropriate, and culturally specific, brochures, posters, eye models, etc.
- Records all patient care examinations, assessment, procedures and care plans in appropriate health records both electronically and manually in compliance with professional community standards and other available Indian Health Service specific guidelines.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Degree: Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) accredited by the Council on Optometric Education.
Licensure: Current license to practice optometry in a State, the District of Columbia, or a territory is required, except for those research positions that do not entail patient care responsibilities. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
GS-11:One (1) year of professional optometrist experience equivalent to at least GS-09 that demonstrated the ability to perform the work of the position to be filled.
GS-12: One (1) year of professional optometrist experience equivalent to at least GS-11 that demonstrated the ability to perform the work of the position to be filled.
Specialized Experience: Experience in administering an industrial optometry program in a industrial activity requiring the development of new methods, procedures or devices for protection employee engaged in eye-hazardaous work.
Knowledge and Experience with Supervising/managing a Optical Staff in a Clinical or Health Center Setting.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, March 31, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement. (Supervisory positions only)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Government housing may be available,
- Position may be subject to alternate work schedule, rotating shifts, call back and nights/weekends/holidays schedule.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $72,535.00 to $101,431.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0662-11/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: ANY US CITIZEN
Control Number: 450032100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1797629-DE