Kratos Technology & Training Solutions Regional Project Accounting Manager - Western Region in San Diego, California
The Regional Project Accounting Manager has oversight for all regional activities in the project accounting environment, which includes job and service project cost accounting, project timekeeping (ensuring prevailing wage jobs pay prevailing wages and certified payroll reports are submitted timely and accurately; manage union withholdings and submit to the unions monthly), project inventory accounting, warranty accounting, sales accounting, billing, collections, and general ledger / balance sheet reconciliation activities surrounding revenue and deferred revenue, accrued losses on contracts, P.O. clearing, accrued liabilities, cost in excess of billings, WIP accounts, and retention accounts.
Also, on an interim basis as a shared services organization is established at the divisional level, the Regional Project Accounting Manager may have non-project accounting general ledger / balance sheet reconciliation, accounts payable, credit, cash application, and fixed assets responsibility until the shared services organization is fully functional.
The Regional Project Accounting Manager will also be responsible for regional financial analysis, budgeting, forecasting, maintaining monthly operating reports, attending project review meetings, and taking on various special projects as requested by the Regional Manager or Divisional Finance. This individual will manage a team and will work closely with the Regional Manager and regularly communicate and collaborate with Project Managers, collections, procurement, corporate, and other regions.
This position reports directly to the Regional Manager and a strong dotted line reporting relationship to the Division Project Accounting Manager. Division Finance has authority to exert a level of influence and leadership in order to maintain a qualified Divisional Finance organization.
Please note: project accounting experience within the construction experience is required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Hire, train, and retain competent project accounting, billing, and collections staff and provide leadership; develop, oversee, review work, etc. of regional finance team
- Manage timely and accurate closing and ensure proper accounting treatment for regional project accounting; review/analyze results; resolve issues; strive to improve efficiency and communication among all stakeholders. Review regional financials for accuracy, job reviews with Project Managers, update the ERP for revised ETCs, journal entries, and account reconciliations associated to regional project accounting
- Review regional WIP/margin reports; discuss any projects that are over budget or have excessive unbilled revenue / costs in excess of billings (CIEB) or unusual deferred revenue / billings in excess of costs (BIEC) balances with regional, divisional, and corporate management
- Prepare and analyze gross profit budget-to-actuals; work closely with the Regional Manager to prepare the monthly operations package, including forecasts, waterfall, pipeline, etc.
- Review and approve new project booking packages; responsible for ensuring contract amounts are properly maintained and that prevailing wage projects are tracked and communicated to payroll
- Manage billing and collections processes, including holding bi-weekly meetings to plan follow up with customers, accounts receivable collections, sales, and operations
- Manage cash forecast process and reporting to Division Finance
- Review and approve all timekeeping entries
- Manage the regional commission calculations and accruals
- Assist with regional annual budget process
- Provide Regional Management with operating statements and financial analysis vital to decision-making process
- Assist in streamlining and/or implementing internal controls at the regional level for adherence to SOX
- Assesses current project accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement
- Must be able to manage time appropriately to meet critical monthly, quarterly, and year-end deadlines, and arrange schedule accordingly
- Other projects as needed
- Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary by management
- Oversees and supervises project and service accounting, billing, and collections staff and functions
- Fosters a team environment that promotes growth
- Ability to coordinate and communicate across time zones
Experience and Skills:
- Adheres to the Kratos Code of Conduct & Ethics
- Must comply with Kratos HR practices regarding performance management of direct reports
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Ability to meet stringent deadlines and respond to requests on short notice
- Strong leadership and analysis skills.
- Advanced understanding of percent complete revenue recognition concepts as they relate to job projects.
- Must possess excellent time management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (above average Excel skills required).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize responsibilities.
- Ability to anticipate and/or proactively address issues.
- Ability to travel 10%
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors Degree in accounting is required. MBA or CPA is preferred.
- 7+ years of progressive construction industry experience in accounting working in a fast paced environment required; with experience working in $50 million plus organizations.
- 2+ years of experience managing team of at least 2 required.
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on Project Accounting experience working with contracts, change orders, invoicing and project estimates; working in a construction or government contracting environment required.
- Working knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems is required, with prior ERP implementation experience preferred.
- Experience with fixed price or software revenue recognition issues preferred.
- Certified payroll experience preferred.
- SOX experience preferred.
- Experience with a mid-size ERP system; MS Dynamics ERP system (SL or GP) or Timberline preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The employee will likely be placed in an office. The work environment characteristics are representative of those of an employee encounters while performing essential functions of the job in a typical office/workstation situation. Able to work sitting or standing at desk and operate a computer via standard input devices such as using a keyboard and reading information on a monitor.
- Office environment
- Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive motion (keyboarding, 10-key, phones)
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
Kratos PSS, a Division of Kratos Defense Systems, is not able to provide U.S. sponsorship at this time.
THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK BEING PERFORMED BY INDIVIDUALS ASSIGNED TO THIS CLASSIFICATION. THEY ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED OF PERSONNEL SO CLASSIFIED.
A REVIEW OF THIS CLASSIFICATION HAS EXCLUDED THE MARGINAL FUNCTIONS OF THE CLASSIFICATION THAT ARE INCIDENTAL TO THE PERFORMANCE OF FUNDAMENTAL JOB DUTIES. ALL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ARE ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS AND ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THIS JOB PROFICIENTLY. THE REQUIREMENTS LISTED IN THIS DOCUMENT ARE THE MINIMUM LEVELS OF KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS OR ABILITIES.
Job Tracking ID: 85347-213904
Location: San Diego, CA
Job Type: Full-Time/Regular
Date Updated: October 21, 2016
Job Level: Management
Number of Openings: 2
Level of Education: BA/BS
Starting Date: October 31, 2016