Washington State Area Traffic Engineer – Safety Management & Operations – WMS3 in Seattle, Washington
This position is open until filled.
The Northwest Region (NWR) is located within the State's most populous geographic area, comprising over half of the State's population. It is one of the top ten most congested metropolitan areas in the country. Investments in the highway infrastructure in this region contain some of the nation's most complex systems, including major highway tunnels, floating bridges, moveable bridges, an extensive HOV system, reversible express lane systems, tolling systems, freeway active traffic management systems, and one of the largest intelligent transportation systems.
The NWR is looking for an Area Traffic Engineer – Safety Management & Operations to provide strategic management and leadership for the Region's Safety Management program as well as for performance monitoring. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the Region Safety Management group, being a lead expert on the Highway Safety Manual, and leading traffic data analysis for complex highway and multimodal performance measurement in the Region.
This position will perform the following work:
- Lead and manage the NWR Traffic Safety Management group. This group is responsible for highway safety needs identification, analysis, mitigation recommendations & performance measurement of implemented improvements within the Region for the Improvement (I) & Operations (Q) Programs.
- Lead and make recommendations of traffic performance monitoring of the highway system in the NWR and before/after studies of projects, including those in support of the Toll Division.
- Serve as the Region (and statewide) expert in the application of the Highway Safety Manual and Safety Analyst for collision analysis and determination of cost-effective improvements to enhance highway safety.
- Utilize strong traffic modeling and engineering judgment to lead the development of basic geometric requirements of state highway projects and low cost operational improvements. This includes identifying geometric deficiencies and working with design offices on acceptable tradeoffs.
- Support the region's Area Traffic engineers and other workgroups in their response to traffic safety needs throughout the region. This requires the incumbent to develop recommendations for Collision Analysis Segments and Intersection Analysis Location List, Interchange Justification Reports, Field Assessments, as well as provide Crash Analysis Reports for various projects.
- Provide substantial technical support for formulation of statewide highway performance measurement policy.
- Serve as public spokesperson for WSDOT on issues involving highway safety and traffic operations.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering or closely related field.
- Licensed as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of Washington.
- Significant experience managing/leading traffic engineering, operations, design & safety management. This includes a minimum of six (6) years practical traffic safety management AND traffic operations experience.
- Leadership skills to motivate, train and mentor staff. This includes the skill to direct or participate in the development of solutions to complex problems or issues as they arise. Proven ability to positively influence outcomes of policy and issues outside of direct control.
- Demonstrated ability to develop performance assessment using traffic volume, speed, and collision data, including innovative summary and presentation of analytical results.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate technical and non-technical issues with a diverse range of audiences.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please hit the large apply button at the top of this announcement, you may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position, you will need to attach a resume and letter of interest to your electronic application and answer the supplemental questions. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Peter Asaiat (206) 440-4066 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 2016-WMS-088.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-WMS-088
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $80,808.00 - $103,644.00 Annually
Location: King County - Seattle - N. Seattle, WA