Washington State Pedestrian/Bicycle/Transit Coordination Engineer in Seattle, Washington
**This position is open until filled.
WSDOT has a unique opportunity for an engineering professional who has enthusiasm for enhancing the safe and efficient travel of pedestrians, bicyclists and transit users. This professional will serve as a key subject matter expert for the successful development and implementation of standards, policies, and project plans for the benefit of all these users of the transportation system. It is an incredible opportunity for someone with great vision for the future of transportation.
WSDOT is committed to continuous improvement (LEAN/Six Sigma Concepts), so someone who has initiative and the drive to innovate and streamline processes is certain to thrive in this role.
This position will perform the following work:
- Continual research of latest technical literature related to pedestrian, bicycle, and transit issues to refine and improve WSDOT's current best practices and processes.
- Serve as subject matter expert and main point of contact for the safe and proper design and operation of transit stops, crosswalks, enhanced crossing devices, school speed zones and crossings, maintenance of trails, pedestrian and bicycle shoulder closures, and pedestrian and bicycles routes. Work closely and in tandem with the NWR ADA (American with Disabilities Act) Coordinator on these matters.
- Actively communicate policy development to stakeholders.
- Provide training to team members on WSDOT current best practices.
- Conduct cost analysis to prioritize related projects.
- Prepare and issue work orders for low cost enhancements.
- Prepare and submit grant applications.
- Analyze and respond to pedestrian, bicycle, and transit related inquires.
*An ideal candidate for this position will have: *
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related discipline.
- Two years of experience in highway design, traffic operation, or other closely related field.
- Expert working knowledge of engineering principles and practices and related guidelines related to the safety and mobility of pedestrians, bicyclists and transit users.
- Ability to independently apply engineering judgment to analyze and implement appropriate actions for the safe and convenient accommodation of pedestrian, bicycle, and transit users.
- Aptitude to independently assess priorities to meet timely and successful delivery of multiple work assignments.
- Ability to perform independent field reviews under various weather conditions.
- Excellent communication ability, both written and verbal.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, you are required to become a member of the PTE, Local 17, or arrange to pay that union a representational fee. The union shop requirement shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please hit the large apply button at the top of this announcement, you may need to set up an account profile.To be considered for this position, you will need to insert or attach a letter of interest and resume in the "resume text" area of your electronic application and complete the supplemental questions.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Peter Asaiat 206-440-4066or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 2016-NWR-126.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-NWR-126
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Closing: 10/31/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $55,728.00 - $73,140.00 Annually
Location: King County - Seattle - N. Seattle, WA