Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse (ER) - ESEP/MP in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Tuesday 9/13/2016 (42 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The Clinical Nurse positions are located in the Emergency Room (ER) Department at Northern Navajo Medical Center, Shiprock, NM. The Clinical Nurse performs a variety of nursing care procedures and treatments for urgent or emergency services to a variety of patients. This position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse (SCN) for ER.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hire Authority procedures. Please review vacancy announcement IHS-16-NN-1798811-DH; for eligibility requirements.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
- Assesses all patients presenting for emergency care and triage based on history, physical assessments and chief complaint. Initiates resuscitative and life or limb saving diagnostics, medications, and treatments based on standing orders and acceptable professional care guidelines.
- Administers therapeutic measures as prescribed by the physician such as medications, treatments, intravenous fluids, blood transfusions, nasogastric tubes and other diagnostic interventions.
- Observe, assess and stabilize urgent and critically ill patients.
- Provides nursing services to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual and socio-cultural needs of the critically ill patient and family.
- Operate and monitor specialized equipment.
- Collaborates with members of the multi-disciplinary team in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating health care.
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
*Education: *Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must provide official Nursing transcripts.
Registration: An active, unrestricted registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
**In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below:
GS-09: 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree or equivalent degree OR 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 grade level.
GS-10: Completion of a professional nursing program AND 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 grade level.
GS-09: Experience recognizing life-threatening emergencies and initiating immediate care until assistance is obtained. Experience in the techniques and the operational mechanics of medical equipment. Experience with accurately transcribing physician's orders, performing health assessments and accurately documenting in patient's medical records. Experience with pharmacology of a wide variety of drugs, dosages, routes of administration, therapeutic action, drug interactions, and adverse reactions.
GS-10: Experience in professional nursing concepts, principles, practices and nursing standards as related to emergency care nursing. Experience in the recognition of life threatening emergencies and in initiating immediate care until assistance is obtained. Experience in nursing theories and practice needed to plan and provide care to patients whose conditions are characterized by extremely complex health care needs. Experience using critical thinking skills and establishing priorities of care when dealing with multiple patients having varying degrees of care requirement.
Graduate level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service, National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency high priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS: http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment
For NHSC: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment
For HRSA Nurse Corps: http://hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commission Corps. PHS Commission Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commission Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.uphs.gov/
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment (up to 10%) or relocation incentives may be authorized.
Appointment Above the minimum may or may not be authorized.
Shipment of Household Goods may be authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facility.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
- Incumbent will work a regularly assigned rotational or call back basis to provide continuity of patient care during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
IHS - Operated Properties are Tobacco-Free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on Career/Career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 450321900
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1798792-ESEP/MP