Indian Health Service Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist - DH in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Many vacancies in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 1/20/2016 (279 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is located in Northern Navajo Medical Center (NNMC), Division of Clinical Services, Branch of Radiology Services, Computed Tomography (CT) section, Shiprock, NM. The purpose of this position is to serve as a Computed Tomography Technologist responsible for the technical operation of the CT Section and computerized axial tomography equipment. Incumbent works under the general direction of the Radiologist and Supervisory Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion (ESEP/MP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-NN-1593197-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements.
*NOTE: *Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
- Incumbent independently performs computerized axial tomographic scanning of the head and/or body and provides assistance for procedures. Produces ionizing radiation within a safe permissible range as to achieve quality radiographs.
- Incumbent schedules patients for examination, evaluates request for critical and/or emergency procedures and adjust schedule to accommodate patients of a higher priority. Receives patient, explains procedure and transfers patient to table for examination.
- Responsible for quality control activities which include but not limited to making minor adjustments to equipment such as setting up step wedges and when necessary changing transverse length adjusters. Performs daily, required calibration tests and recording appropriate equipment errors in the log. Recognizes equipment malfunctions and contacts appropriate CT service engineer.
- Practices sterile technique and prevents cross-contamination in various examinations.
- Not Required
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must (l) have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
(l) Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
(2) Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided that such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence as determined by OPM or the employing agency.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below:
GS-08: One year specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 grade level.
GS-09: One year specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-08 grade level.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience in the operation of diagnostic radiology equipment under the direction of radiologists or other medical officers to produce radiographic studies used in medical diagnosis and treatment.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Incumbent will be subject to emergency overtime and will be required to take emergency call. Incumbent may be required to work rotating shifts, days, evenings, weekends, and holidays to provide continuity of radiological services.
- This position is covered under the Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized child care position subject to P.L. 141-630 and P.L. 101-647.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- This position has promotion potential to the GS-09 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $46,523.00 to $63,654.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0647-08/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: All groups of qualified individuals
Control Number: 426918300
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1593172-DH