Indian Health Service Medical Support Assistant, GS-0679-5 (ESEP/MP) in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 10/6/2016 (14 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 10/20/2016 (0 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The position is located in the Division of Nursing Services, Branch of Maternal and Child Health, Northern Navajo Medical Center, Shiprock, NM. The purpose of this position is to provide a variety of support duties that facilitate the work of physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nursing assistants, and other members of the medical facility who provide patient care. Reports directly to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse of Maternal and Child Health.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Performs clerical duties by receiving patients to the check-in desk, initiate health summaries in the Electronic Health Record (EHR) system and updates patient demographics and insurance information with each visit. Requests charts from Medical Records through the Resource Patient Management System (RPMS).
- Enters appointment schedule in the RPMS for their designated providers, clinics, and sends out letters. Contacts patients for cancellation of clinic and reschedules appointments.
- Interviews patients to obtain insurance information and for health care services provided.
- Obtains patient signature for collection from private insurance.
- Determines the eligibility of patients who are seeking health care. Refers patients without insurance coverage to the Benefits Coordinator to ensure eligibility for alternate resources.
- Obtains authorization with appropriate signatures for required forms as assignment of benefits and release of information to verify third party coverage and alternate resources.
- Answers telephone calls and route calls to appropriate clinic or individuals.
- Participates in group meetings by taking minutes.
- Participates in departmental quality monitor and performance improvement projects.
- Floats to other clinics/units as needed.
- Not Required
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
GS-5: One (1) year of Specialized Experience equivalent to at least GS-4 grade level OR Four (4) years above high school.
Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped that applicant with the particular KSA's to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Examples of the types of specialized experience that will be credited are: performing receptionist, record keeping, key-entering and retrieving patient data from the automated systems associated with patient care and treatment.
Education: This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 20 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school.
Combining Education and Experience: Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements at grades GS-5 and below. For GS-05 level positions, only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Thursday, October 20, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Travel and relocation expenses is not authorized.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized childcare position position to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
- The incumbent must work in a regularly assigned rotational or call back basis to provide continuity of patient care during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staffing working in the Indian Health Service health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $32,318.00 to $42,012.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0679-05/05
Promotion Potential: 05
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles.
Control Number: 452742500
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1819431-ESEP/MP