Indian Health Service Nurse/Clinical Nurse (Pediatrics), GS-610-7/9 (Direct Hire) in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Tuesday 1/19/2016 (282 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (65 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-NN-1601224-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
As a member of the healthcare team, serves as a Clinical Nurse performing professional nursing duties for the care of inpatients (Pediatrics Specialty). The position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse (Pediatrics).
The Registered Nurse performs a variety of responsible nursing care procedures requiring professional knowledge and consideration of specific patient conditions and treatments and ability to work independently in completing assignments in the areas of Pediatrics.
As a member of the health care team, performs professional nursing duties for the care of inpatients (Pediatrics Specialty).
Carries out treatments, emergency or other procedures required; administers medications; observes and documents patient's conditions, changes, and reactions to medications and medical treatment.
In the event of emergency, i.e. code blue/RRT (rapid response team), follows algorithms and procedures per established AHA (America Heart Association) and Shiprock Service Unit policy.
Provides education to patients and families on preventing, curative and rehabilitative measures involved in health care.
When assigned as Charge Nurse, provides bed management, guidance, direction, and training to ancillary nursing and other personnel.
Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of Standards of Care, National Patient Safety Goals, Quality Assurance, and Infection Control activities.
- Occasional Travel
- Routine duties shall include providing nursing care services provided by the IHS in homes, schools, clinics, job sites and other community locations within the service unit.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
LICENSURE: Applicants will be required to verify they possess a current, valid, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a Territory of the United States.
You must meet all of the BASIC REQUIREMENTS listed below:
Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must provide official Nursing transcripts.
An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below:
GS-7: Completion or a professional nursing program AND 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level OR 1 full year of graduate education or bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
GS-9: 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree OR 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level.
EXPERIENCE: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience in professional knowledge in nursing principles, practices, and procedures in order to assess patient needs, ability to develop an individualized nursing care plan, ability to accurately document clinical data, knowledge of disease entities, ability to recognize complications and therapeutic interventions; knowledge of pharmaceuticals; ability to recognize adverse signs and symptoms and to react promptly including life saving procedures. Skills in operating specialized medical equipment. Ability to provide guidance and leadership, etc.
Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service, National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency high priorities and available of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS: http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment
For NHSC: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment
For HRSA Nurse Corps: http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
This position has promotion potential to the GS-09 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulator/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive up to 10% is authorized.
Appointment Above the minimum may or may not be authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staffing working in the Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain nursing licensure requirements. If nursing licensure is not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- The incumbent is required to obtain and maintain BLS/CPR (Basic Life Support) certification at all times in the performance of direct patient care duties.
- Work is performed on a regularly assigned or rotational basis to provide continuity of patient care during evenings, nights, holidays, and weekends.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized Child Care position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $52,514.00 to $69,936.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-07/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 426989100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1601965-DH