Indian Health Service Pharmacy Technician in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/7/2016 (14 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/21/2016 (0 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is located in the Division of Clinical Services, Branch of Pharmacy, Northern Navajo Medical Center, Shiprock, NM. The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for preparation/review/dispensing/control of medications and other pharmaceutical products to patients, outpatient nursing staff or physicians. This position reports to the Supervisory Pharmacist.
- Performs the basic technical processes entailed in dispensing prescriptions which include a basic review of the chart to determine appropriate patient and number of medications including quantities to be dispensed and whether dosages are within acceptable ranges based on patient age and weight entry of data into computer accurately for proper prescription labels and appropriate dosage forms for review by the pharmacist prior to delivering dose cart or giving medications to patient.
- Verifies identify of patients review all medications with patient using the Indian Health Service consultation method to include proper dose directions for use potential adverse reactions, side effects, expected outcomes drug-drug or drug-food interactions as appropriate for the patient.
- Participates in designed ongoing quality improvement activities in the Pharmacy Branch as required by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations which includes participation in staff meetings and continuing education programs as conducted by pharmacy medical or nursing staffs.
- Performs independent monthly inspections of all drug storage areas within the facility whether in pharmacy, outpatient, or ambulatory areas including review of the cardiac arrest carts to verify that adequate stocks are on hand storage conditions meet specifications and that drugs are within expiration dates including the correction of any problems found.
- At the GS-06 level, performs duties that are at a higher level of complexity than the lower level technicians and performs oversight of these lower level personnel.
- A basic working knowledge of the Navajo Language is preferable but not required to provide patient education and consultation to patients speaking only Navajo.
- Not Required
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
GS-4: Experience: 6 months general and 6 months specialized experience OR* Education*: 2 years above high school with courses related to the occupation.
GS-5: Experience: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-4 level OR Education: 4 year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree with courses related to the occupation.
GS-6: Experience: One year of specialized experience to at least next lower grade level.
Specialized Experience (for positions GS-4 and above): Qualifying specialized experience may have been gained in hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, or in pharmaceutical firms or laboratories. Experience must have provided a basic knowledge of:
Characteristics, strengths, and dosage forms of pharmaceuticals;
Pharmaceutical systems of weights and measures; and the
Variety of procedures and techniques involved in the care, storage, repacking, bulk compounding, and distribution of pharmaceuticals.
Education and Training:
For GS-4: Successful completion of 2 years of study in pharmacy or pharmacy technology that included at least 12 semester hours in courses in the care, storage, distribution, and preparation of pharmaceuticals, and appropriate laboratory work.
For GS-5: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with major study in pharmacy, or that included at least 24 semester hours in pharmacy related courses.
Successful completion of a course for medical technicians, hospital corpsmen, medical service specialists, or hospital training obtained in a training program given by the Armed Forces or the U.S. Maritime Service under closed medical and professional supervision is creditable on a month-for-month basis for general experience.
Successful completion of pertinent specialized training courses in pharmaceutical and pharmacy practices while serving in the Armed Forces is creditable on a month-for-month basis up to the one year of specialized experience required for GS-5.
General Experience: (1) Any type of work that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform the work of the position, or (2) experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter of processes of the broad subject areas of the occupation ie. Standardized pharmacy skills, routine techniques, knowledge of bulk compounds and labeling, skill in accurate measuring, weighing and mixing of ingredients, and preparing name and quality control labels.
Education: This education must have been obtained in an accredited business or technical school, junior college, or university for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite. One full year of fulltime undergraduate study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business or technical school.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Friday, October 21, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position has promotion potential to the GS-06 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Incumbent maybe required to perform weekends, holidays, or on-call as required by the service unit.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized child care position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $28,886.00 to $46,831.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0661-04/06
Promotion Potential: 06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 452811400
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1802917-ESEP/MP