Army National Guard Units (Title 32) HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (MILITARY) in Springfield, Illinois
Army National Guard Units (Title 32)
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Springfield, IL
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Friday 10/14/2016 (5 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 11/3/2016 (15 day(s) away)
About the Agency
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
ILLINOIS NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Illinois National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Illinois National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Illinois National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
Duty Location: MILPO, Springfield, IL
Selecting Official: MSG Heather Meyers
Areas of Consideration: This position is announced statewide for those persons holding or eligible to acquire membership in the IL ARNG in an available military position in an Enlisted grade which is compatible with this technician position.
Military Requirements:Selected candidates who are not currently in a compatible military assignment, may apply. Selectee must be placed in a compatible military assignment prior to the effective date of placement. Selectee is required to cross train if not currently compatible.
Compatible Military Assignments:
Enlisted 42A; May not exceed the rank SSG.
*THIS IS NOT AN ALL-INCLUSIVE LIST OF DUTIES:
(1) Serves as a final reviewer or processor of actions, which may include but are not limited to: Research and draft responses to Legislative and IG inquiries, Evaluation Reports (NCOER/OER), accessions, promotions, reductions, discharges, transfers, separations, boards, evaluations, Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP), promotion eligibility, retirement eligibility, and actions that affect eligibility of educational or incentive benefits as well as sensitive, complex cases, which involve: allegations of inequitable, prejudiced, or similar treatment (e.g. issues of fraudulent enlistment or assignment; removal of military member from active or inactive status). Performs complete review of records and other case documentation to ensure that they are procedurally correct, complete, and documentation is sufficient for action being taken and that all levels of legal, medical, pay and administrative review have been completed. Cases have major effects on career or service as they may result in unfavorable career separation or loss of status. Ensures that regulatory requirements related to the specific action are met. Identifies gaps or inconsistencies in the record and initiates action or interviews personnel to obtain needed data. Performs personnel and administrative actions related to deployment manning documents and administrative medical processing.
(2) Researches and obtains all necessary, relevant information regarding cases and issues and provides explanations and interpretations of rules, regulations, procedures, and requirements pertaining to actions taken or recommended. Forwards cases to the appropriate action officer for final review and decisions. Drafts or prepares related correspondence for appropriate signature and enters data in automated systems, as needed. Manages data from information sources, both manual and electronic, for use in answering questions, responding to correspondence, or preparing reports or briefings and compiling statistical data for projected FY requirements. Ensures completeness and proper forwarding of records to appropriate board. Provides advice and guidance to other personnel on actions in areas of expertise, as well as, advice, instructions, and interpretations, as needed, to lower echelons. Processes tax refund for reenlistment bonus for Soldier in Combat Zone (CZ) or Qualified Hazardous Duty Area (QHDA). Initiates work requests to outside agencies.
(3) Provides support to maintain a variety of automated systems and interfaces used to manage service members both locally and statewide. Reviews transaction reports from previous days inputs for errors, corrects inaccurate data, and resubmits transaction for update to Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) and local databases. Provides technical guidance and training to all supported activities concerning transaction processing and system software. Identifies training needs of system users and tailors training to meet those needs. Develops installation Program of Instruction (POI) and functional training package. Determines type, length and frequency of training. Conducts formal and informal system and functional training. Assists in on-site training as requested or required by supported units.
(4) Participates in unit Soldier Readiness Processing (SRP), and in organizational inspection program. Provides counseling to service member on available benefits; accuracy of the emergency data and contact information and the accuracy of the DEERS/RAPIDS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System/Realtime Automated Personnel Identification System) information; and allows the service member to perform a general review of their record.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel throughout U.S. will be required.
- Must be willing to become a member of the National Guard.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Completed NGIL Form 73 required, see How to Apply, Required Documents.
- Secret Security Clearance Required
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: EACH APPLICANT MUST FULLY SUBSTANTIATE IN THEIR OWN WORDS- THAT THEY MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE LISTED BELOW; OTHERWISE, THE APPLICANT WILL BE CONSIDERED UNQUALIFIED FOR THIS POSITION. DO NOT COPY FROM THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Administrative or clerical experience, education, or training which demonstrates the candidate's ability to perform the duties of the position. Experience using computer and automation systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-07 Level Must have at least 12 months experience in the interpretation and application of regulations, procedures or laws. Experience that provided a working knowledge of administrative functions. Experience performing personnel transactions. Experience working independently and setting priorities with very little supervisory control. GS-06 Level Must have at least 9 months experience, education or training that provided knowledge of general office work which may include but is not limited to: answering telephones, receiving and distributing mail and maintaining records. Experience following oral or written instructions to accomplish work. Experience establishing and retrieving files and information. Experience using common computer software designed for word processing. GS-05 Level Must have at least 6 months experience, education or training that provided knowledge of general office work which may include but is not limited to: answering telephones, receiving and distributing mail and maintaining records. Experience following oral or written instructions to accomplish work. Experience establishing and retrieving files and information. Experience using common computer software designed for word processing.
Applicant must have 12 months experience equivalent to next lower grade in order to be considered for this position.
Quality of Experience: Level of time is not of itself qualifying. Candidates' experience should be evaluated on the basis of duties performed rather than strictly on the rank of the individual; however, established compatibility criteria/assignments must be followed. The applicant's record of experience training, and education must show possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to fully perform the duties of the Miscellaneous Administration and Program Positions.
Substitution of Education for specialized experience: Completion of 2 academic years of education in an accredited college or university will satisfy the requirements for GS-4 positions. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience for GS-5 positions.
Military Requirements: Military skill set is determined by MOS requirements. Upon selection, individuals must be assigned to a compatible military MOS in accordance with statutes and National Guard Bureau regulations and must obtain/maintain all requirements of the MOS.
*Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license for the state in which they live or are principally employed.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
What To Expect Next
The following Web addresses are provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees.
Main site for new federal employees - http://www.opm.gov/insure/newemploy/index.asp
Flexible Spending Accounts - This Program allows you to pay for certain health and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. For additional information visit: https://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
Health Insurance - The FEHB Program offers over 100 optional plans. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave - Most Federal employees earn both annual and sick leave. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - The FEGLI Program offers Basic Life Insurance plus three types of optional insurance, for additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance - The FLTCIP provides long term care insurance for Federal employees and their parents, parents-in-law, stepparents, spouses, and adult children. For additional information visit: http://www.ltcfeds.com/
Retirement Program - Almost all new employees are automatically covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan. The three tiers are: Social Security Benefits, Basic Benefit Plan, Thrift Savings Plan. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
1. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
2. Please do not send/fax/courier/email any applications or resumes to the National Guard Human Resources Office. You must apply on-line or fax your application to the fax number listed in this announcement with the prescribed Cover Letter. The Human Resources Office can only process materials received through USAJOBS.
Salary Range: $32,318.00 to $52,043.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0203-05/07
Promotion Potential: 07
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: US Citizens and Status Candidates
Control Number: 453066700
Job Announcement Number: IL-16-388