Washington State DSHS Security Guard 3 in Steilacoom, Washington
The Department of Social and Health Services, Rehabilitation Administration, Special Commitment Center is recruiting for a Permanent Security Guard 3 position to join their Security Unit at McNeil Island in Steilacoom.
In this role you will report to the Security Operations Manager. You will supervise the security guards on duty at the Special Commitment Center and will also serve as the lead security staff person. You will be responsible for deployment of security assets and responses to ensure a safe and secure institution where adequate response is mounted against riot, rebellion, and assaultive behaviors by members of the institutionalized residential population. This position will be a roving supervisory position and may be required to cover posts as needed or as directed by the On-Site Supervisor.
Additionally, you will be responsible to perform and supervise numerous life safety functions in and around the greater McNeil Island, including providing emergency medical aid to employees, visitors and residents of the Special Commitment Center, coordinating or conducting emergency medical evacuations for the same by air, sea or land, leading efforts to fight wild fires and structural fires on McNeil Island as well as supervising response efforts to mitigate risk from hazardous materials spills on land or in the waters adjacent to McNeil Island.
Work Schedule: 10:00 p.m.-8:00 a.m. Friday - Monday. Your scheduled days off are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.* *
Some of what you'll be doing
- Serve as the supervisor of record for up to 16 Security Guard 2 employees and ensure that performance and attendance is monitored and closely tracked
- Document employee performance issues, submit annual evaluations as required and issue performance management reports as appropriate or directed
- Serve as the Total Confinement Facility shift security lead for a 10 hour shift, supervising security work activities and making duty assignments under the direction of the On-Site-Supervisor
- Act as a team member or leader on a riot control/emergency response team
- Serve as a supervising security responder in the deployment of Security Guard 2 staff responding to resident escapes, medical emergencies, fires, riots, hostage takings, assaultive behavior
- Supervise routine security activities associated with security guard duties such as the searches of areas, rooms and persons, and the control of resident population within the facility
- Respond via designated fire response vehicle or foot to any fire, smoke or alarm as directed by the On-Site-Supervisor
- Supervise Security Guard 2 staff responding to wild land fires and structural fires while acting subordinate to a Fire Captain
- Supervise Security Guard 2 staff operating a licensed ambulance while acting subordinate to a Fire Captain
- Coordinate patient transfer and medical evacuation by and between vehicle, vessel or helicopter, as directed
- Serve as an emergency Hazardous Material Spill response team supervisor, leading Security Guard 2 staff in the response to hazardous spills, acting subordinate to a Fire Captain
- Resident transports, scheduled and non-scheduled/emergent to ensure public resident, and staff safety
- Supervise and conduct physical searches of staff and visitor (persons and belongings) in the Steilacoom Dock House as warranted according to Homeland Security requirements and Marine Security level (MARSEC) as dictated by the United States Coast Guard
- Generate timely and accurate reports, to include incident reports, observations reports, and emergency response reports, as required or directed
What we're looking for
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel based software products
- CPR and First Aid Certified
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Previous training experience
- Valid driver's license is required
- Valid certification as a basic Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or higher is required
Who should apply? Professionals with a high school graduation or GED and three years of experience in areas of work such as: security guard, correctional officer, store investigation, police officer, police reserve officer, military police, or other law enforcement work.
Professionals with a certificate of completion in a basic law enforcement training program approved by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission or a certificate of completion in a police or reserve police academy or military training program will substitute for one of the three years of required experience.
Questions? Please contact, Trina DeBiase
Some jobs may require full criminal background check. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-08601 XW97
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Closing: 10/23/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $2,994.54 - $3,906.30 Monthly
Location: Pierce County – Steilacoom, WA