Travis County Texas Building Maintenance Coordinator in Texas
Directs the building maintenance and repair functions for an assigned building complex or group of buildings. Supervises, trains, directs and schedules staff assigned to complex or group of buildings. Performs the most complex maintenance and repair duties, including those involving heating and air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, roof and security systems. Works with outside consultants and contractors and serves as a technical expert on new construction projects associated with assigned complex or group of buildings.
This is a job classification within the Maintenance job family. This classification is responsible for overseeing and supervising building maintenance staff assigned to a building complex or group of buildings and is differentiated from the Building Maintenance Worker Senior class that is assigned to projects in various locations. This classification has supervisory responsibilities. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Functions as a supervisor and a lead worker in the performance of building maintenance, repair and minor construction duties for a specific building complex or group of buildings. Makes recommendations regarding replacement or upgrade of systems. Provides technical advice and assistance for assigned staff.
- Serves as primary point of contact with the tenants of building complex or group of buildings concerning facility maintenance issues.
- Performs a variety of preventive maintenance routines on equipment, building components and facilities. Provides on-the-job training to subordinate staff on proper procedures, practices and techniques.
- Completes electrical, plumbing, masonry and carpentry repairs. Repairs heating and air conditioning systems, pumps, fans, air compressors and similar mechanical and electrical components and systems.
- Responds to requests for service and completes or assigns requested work and completes appropriate tracking documentation.
- Prepares for painting. Paints and seals building surfaces and equipment. Completes necessary actions to restore fit and finish of building surfaces to acceptable condition.
- Researches and requisitions necessary tools, equipment, supplies and materials. Monitors expenditures of supplies and controls inventory of assigned equipment and tools.
- Remodels buildings and facilities from plans and/or verbal instructions.
- Serves as representative with consultants and contractors providing services in assigned building complex or group of buildings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND five (5) years of increasingly responsible building maintenance experience, including one (1) year of lead or supervisory experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal Certification. Valid Texas Driver's License. Final candidates are required to successfully pass the background investigation, including fingerprint clearance.
Preferred: Chiller and Boiler Experience strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Standard practices, methods and skills in use and care of tools, equipment and materials of the electrical, mechanical, plumbing, power generation, fire alarm/security and carpentry trades.
- Equipment and tools used in maintenance and repair functions.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of assigned function.
Applicable safety practices and regulations. Skill in:
Supervising, assigning and advising building maintenance staff and operations.
- Carpentry, painting, plastering, masonry, plumbing, electrical repairs and installations, and machine servicing.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and performing maintenance and repair needs.
- Reading and interpreting schematics and blueprints.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Supervise, motivate and train staff.
- Plan, schedule and oversee building maintenance functions.
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Safely and correctly apply building and equipment maintenance and repair techniques, and operate tools and equipment.
- Evaluate conditions and recommend effective technical solutions.
- Communicate effectively.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 50-100 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects, rodents and infectious diseases.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM; Monday through Friday Works some holidays, nights and weekends
Department: Facilities Management
Location: Various County Facilities
Criminal, Driving and Employment Background Check Required. Final candidates are required to successfully pass the background investigation, including fingerprint clearance.
Salary: $16.64 - $20.80 Hourly $16.64 - $20.80 Hourly
Job Number: 16-03204
Location: Various County Facilities, TX
Closing: 11/8/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Facilities Management
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.