Washington State Bridge Inspector, Bridge Engineer 3, In-training in Tumwater, Washington
*This recruitment is being re-opened to expand the candidate pool. If you previously applied for this position you do not need to re-apply.*
*Note: This recruitment may be used to fill similar Bridge Engineer 3, In-training vacancies within the next 90-days. *
The Opportunity: The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Bridge & Structures Office is happy to announce that they currently have one vacancy as a Co-inspector. This position is responsible for assisting in conducting federally mandated bridge inspections throughout Washington state. The selected candidate will work as a member of a small team utilizing specialized equipment, such as Under Bridge Inspection Trucks (UBIT); sometimes at heights exceeding 100 feet, over water and in confined spaces.
Note: This position includes an approved in-training plan, therefore it may be filled at the Bridge Engineer 1, 2 or 3 level. The salary levels for each are:
Bridge Engineer 1: $45684 - $60012 annually Bridge Engineer 2: $50496 - $66264 annually Bridge Engineer 3: $55728 - $73140 annually
WSDOT is the steward of a multimodal transportation system and responsible for ensuring that people and goods move safely and efficiently. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system consisting of over 18,000 lane miles and 3,600 bridge structures, WSDOT is responsible for the largest ferry system in the nation; owns three Talgo train sets in the Amtrak Cascades fleet; and works in partnership with others to maintain and improve local roads, railroads and airports, as well as to support alternatives to driving, such as public transportation, bicycles and pedestrian programs. Additionally, WSDOT manages the world's widest tunneling project and the world's longest floating bridge. WSDOT's diverse programs and projects are supported by more than 6,800 full-time employees, including engineers, vessel captains, maintenance technicians, environmental specialists, planners, and more. We take pride in our workforce and strive for excellence and integrity in everything we do.
This position will perform the following work:
- Assist in the inspection of existing transportation structures to determine their condition, capability and necessity for repair. Prepare inspection reports and recommend repairs.
- Serve as the team leader for short span bridge, sign bridge, fathometric and two-person UBIT inspections.
- Write equipment specifications for new purchases. Develop schedules for UBIT and routine inspection trips.
- Design, build and maintain auxiliary Washington State Bridge Inspection System (WSBIS) tables.
- Perform load carrying capacity analysis of existing structures.
To be considered for this position a* candidate will have:*
- A Bachelor's of Science degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- A valid, unrestricted driver's license.
- The ability to travel statewide with frequent overnight stays for consecutive weeks.
- An Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certificate (within 18 months of employment).
- The ability to communicate verbally and in writing, with the ability to work well as a member of a small team.
- The ability to work at heights that could exceed 100', inside a confined space environment and over waterways.
- The ability to work frequent overtime, including weekends.
- A Transportation Worker Identification Card(TWIC) within 6 months of employment.
- Ability to operate hydraulically powered lift equipment (bucket truck, boom lift, under bridge inspection truck (UBIT)).
It is desirable that a candidate have the following:
- Previous knowledge of the WSDOT bridge inspection program.
- Previous knowledge of the national bridge inspection program.
- Experience working with and operating hydraulically powered lift equipment (bucket truck, boom lift, under bridge inspection truck(UBIT)).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of CADD.
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Chuck Johnson at (360) 705-6846 or email to JohnCha@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 2016-HQ-142.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-HQ-142
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Closing: 10/25/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $45,684.00 - $73,140.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA